586,058 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

powermax65 consumable differences

What is the difference between the finecut consumables and the 45 amp consumables for the Pmax65 ??

Willy

To add to this question, why are there no cutting specs for aluminum for the fine-cut consumables?

The FineCut and the Shielded 45 amp consumables are totally different designs.

The FineCut consumables are designed with higher energy density specifically for cutting materials thinner than 1/8" (steel and stainless steel) with better edge quality. These consumables do a great job cutting in this thickness range, provide a narrower kerf, yet will not last as long as the shielded consumables.

The shielded 45 amp consumables use a new technology (invented and patented by Hypertherm) called "conical flow" which uses the secondary (shield) air flow to help constrict the plasma arc....these consumables provide a wide thickness range (from 26 gauge to 1/4", I use mine to 3/8") and far better consumable life as compared to the FineCut design. Cut quality on materials thinner than 1/8" is very good, but not quite comparable to the Fine Cuts.

Hypertherm developed the FineCut parts specifically for Steel and Stainless....that is why there are no cut charts for aluminum. That being said, there are many people that use the FineCut parts on thin aluminum....you can use the basic cutting specs for steel....just adjust speed to minimize dross. Aluminum spatter tends to build up on the front of the torch, especially with the FineCut parts...I recommend the use of welding anti spatter spray (light coating) on the front of the consumables when cutting aluminum.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by flyinwilly View Post
    What is the difference between the finecut consumables and the 45 amp consumables for the Pmax65 ??

Willy

Jim:

Thans for the quick reply. Have 2 more questions.

What is the difference in the kerf width say on 16 ga steel between the fine cut, 45A shielded (at 45 amps), and the 65A consumables ?

Also, how much more life can you expect between the fine cut and 45 A parts (assuming everything is done correctly) ?

Thanks,

Willy

Jim:

What is the difference in the kerf width say on 16 ga steel between the fine cut, 45A shielded (at 45 amps), and the 65A consumables ?

Also, how much more life can you expect between the fine cut and 45 A parts (assuming everything is done correctly) ?

Thanks,

Willy
    All of the kerf widths and cutting speed/height/pierce/etc for all of the different consumables are listed in the user manual on pages 72-88. You can download the manual from hypertherm's website.

I'll give the kerf widths for 14 ga out of the Powermax65/85 manual:

Fine Cut .049"

45 amp shielded .055"

65 amp shielded .062"

This assumes that the cut is being done at the recommended book cut speeds and torch height. Slower speeds, incorrect height will cause a much wider kerf. The nice thing about the fine cut parts is that they allow slowe cut speeds....as mos machines cannot maintain high speeds on intricate part details, will slow down in these areas.

The 45 amp shielded parts can last 3 to 4 times longer (as measured in pierces) as compared to the Fine Cut parts.

Jim Colt

Jim:

Thanks,

Willy

Thanks for that info. I downloaded the operator manual and found the charts. The difference in kerf width is not that great between the fine cut and the 45A nozzle to justify the shorter life. At least that's what it looks like before I've actually tried them out. Can't wait to get back to the shop and try out the 65.

I am currently running at 100 IPM with my the 40A cutter that's on the table now. I've tried it at speeds up to 200 IPM and the total cut time is virtually the same. This tells me that the machine is slowing down for turns, curves, etc. and never reaching the max speed for any length of time. I've actually measured and timed some cuts and I am probably averaging around 50 - 60 IPM at the best case.

While the PMAX65 cut speeds are much higher, I doubt that I will ever approach them in actual use. With that being said, what will happen to the cut at these lower speeds and how do I adjust the cutter settings to compensate ? On my other cutter, 30A and 100IPM gives me a very good cut on 16 / 18 GA mild steel.

Thanks,

Willy

Cutting at speeds slower than the chart recommends will produce dross, a wider kerf and possibly warpage. This is why we have many different sets of consmables...so you can fine tune the cutting process to your machines capability as well as the material and cut quality requirements that you have.

Jim