586,103 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > sticky machine/ haas sl-30 lathe

sticky machine/ haas sl-30 lathe

we switched our haas lathe to a synthetic coolant ( cimtech 320 ) and have a sticky mess. we previously used blaser swisslube coolant. after flushing with a cleaner and then fresh water, our machine z-axis covers and wipers gummed up hard. we thought it was the residual coolant in the felt wipers, but have replaced them twice, and now have adapted rubber wipers. we have flushed again and refilled with 7% cimtech 320...we continue to have a sticky residue develope on the z-axis and the sheetmetal behind the chuck...

the felt wipers are glued together, but have been replaced completely... the cimtech 320 coolant has not done this in any other machine we have it in...

has anyone had or heard of this ??? Does anyone have problems with the z-axis sticking / jerking becuase of their coolant...
    help....

jeff

I had this problem with another brand of coolant once. But, you should check the concentration with a refractometer to be sure it is correct. A lathe is bad, IMO, for evaporating the water out of the coolant, and so the concentration can increase over time. The top up solution should usually be weaker than the original mix for this reason.

So begin with the concentrate a little extra dilute, rather than extra concentrated.

You might have to wash down the inside of the lathe and the carriage regularly with coolant in order to dissolve the buildup on areas that are only getting a bit of splash now and then.

Also, use a skimmer to keep the oil out of circulation, as an oily sludge can also make a sticky mess when rebroadcast all over the cabinet.

Or, try a different brand, but the same principles apply.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have had this problem before. I have switched to a product bye Qualichem called Extreem Cool 363. it works amazing.