586,076 active members*
4,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Ugly Stick

Ugly Stick

Does anyone know where I can get an Ugly Stick type of airplane kit from? All of the ones that I have seen lately through Tower and Horizon are ARF. I must be one of the five people left on Earth who likes building them from scratch!

Ttt

Oh! Airplane! I thought there was a sighting of my ex! My Mistake.

Ttt

hi there

what size are you looking for 40 60 or ??

i saw one the other day at my local hobbie shop (80 miles away) but for got witch when i go back i'll check i also like to build

A mate of mine was flying one recently. The plane went out of control and crashed into him.
    Yeh , he was hit with the ugly stick.

Boom boom.

I'm looking for a 40-sized Stick. I have looked through Tower and Horizon and found all of them to be ARF or RTF. I will probably go with a SIG kit at this point, like a Somethin' Extra, Kavalier, or Four-Star. Nothing else from the other manufacturers really catches my eye.

Take a look at Balsa usa (www.balsausa.com) they have a stick series of planes. The wood in thier kits is excellent also.
    Darren

checkout...
    rcuniverse.com and rcgroups.com. They have a scratch build section with links to free plans.

-Rocko

Darren,

Thanks for the Balsa USA suggestion. I checked out their page. The model that they're calling a Stick is not an Ugly Stick. Their's is just plain UGLY! :-)

Rocko,

I will look at those forums in more detail later. Thanks!

ynneb....man did your mate get super ugly....

Evodyne....I'm sure she has found some suitable....like a mortician...*chuckle*....maybe a banker if she is spending your X-money.

Guys, I'm trying to get a question answered. I like a good joke and a funny picture as much as the next person, but the signal-to-noise ratio is rediculous. If you do not have anything useful to contribute, please post in one of the off-topic areas.

40 size ugly stick would be called a sweet stick. Look for the jenson ugly stick Dos Stick.

Very easy to scratch build from plans We have built plenty. Sheet the leading edge and use capp strips on the ribs makes it fly much smoother at low speeds (not as pitchy because of rounder LE)

As far as a set of plans I would go to your local hobby shop and look for the older guys just sitting around and ask them about the plans I am sure one will have a set of plans. They will be tickled pink that you want to build a plane versess buying an ARF.

I will look and see if I have an origanle set of plans some where in mass storage.

John

John,

Thanks for the info! I did some searches at your suggestion and have found plans around the 'net. Some of them look more complete than others. We're supposed to get a 60-inch plotter at work in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably wait until that happens, then I can scale the plans to any size I want.

There are only three good hobby shops in my area, and there never seem to be any "older guys sitting around". I wish there were because it would make this a lot easier! :-)

If you have a set of plans around post them here for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks!