586,106 active members*
3,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile My new steel aluminum CNC Build Log

Here we go again for a new adventure. This time I start to buid a much stronger CNC, the last time was with MDF which was not so buffy.For the frame I used 40x60 mm iron profile and welded. I decided to use linear rail guide and ball screw for better precision, after reading several thread at cnczone I decided some cold rolled iron . First the rolled iron bares are welded on the frame. AFter a professional CNC made the grinding and hole drilling for the guideway.My CNC will have a footprint of 1200x900 mm.

Cheers

CNC Specs:
    - 1200x900 mm footprint
    - 900x600 working area
    - 3 AC Servo Motor and Driver
    - 2 Precision ball screw for x axis
    - expected fast speed to be 10000 mm/min
    - Aluminum T slot table top
    - Belt driven 3 axis
    - Homemade CNC control software
    - And some aesthetic view of the CNC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCTek_0001.jpg   CNCTek_0002.jpg   CNCTek_0003.jpg   CNCTek_0004.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by drRobutik View Post
    Here we go again for a new adventure. This time I start to buid a much stronger CNC, the last time was with MDF which was not so buffy.For the frame I used 40x60 mm iron profile and welded. I decided to use linear rail guide and ball screw for better precision, after reading several thread at cnczone I decided some cold rolled iron . First the rolled iron bares are welded on the frame. AFter a professional CNC made the grinding and hole drilling for the guideway.My CNC will have a footprint of 1200x900 mm.
    Cheers
    It's good to see another steel CNC build. I'm kinda partial to it myself.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Today I started to tape the guideway hole with M4. I wonder are they any other low cost methodes othen than grinding and paralleling on a CNC.?

Quote Originally Posted by drRobutik View Post
    Today I started to tape the guideway hole with M4. I wonder are they any other low cost methodes othen than grinding and paralleling on a CNC.?
    If you can afford to have your rails surfaced with a CNC.. that's definitely the way to go... That's 'gotta' improve performance of the finished machine... How can it not?

Thanks,
    I finished taping (by hand). I 'll buy the linear gideways today. After that I' ll start contructing the x axis support, which will be L type steel that I ll use a mill to surface and drill holes. by the way I have to go to build this CNC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCTek_0006.jpg   CNCTek_0008.jpg   CNCTek_0010.jpg  

linear rails

Just fixed the linear guides and the cars. And started to machine L steel x axis supports.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCTek_0007.jpg   CNCTek_0011.JPG   CNCTek_0021.JPG   CNCTek_0044.JPG  

CNCTek_0043.JPG   CNCTek_0048.JPG   CNCTek_0047.JPG  

drRobutik,

Nice build you have started. The steel should make it very rigid. Did you mill the cold rolled and then precision grind the surface? The quote I got for precision grinding a frame like yours was $622.00 US. Very costly but I would think it is the only way to perfectly line up the linear guide? I will be following your build.

Magma-joe

Yes I did the surface grinding and hole drilling on CNC which cost me about 320 USD in Turkey quite expensive here too, but all holes are precise. The rail was screw without problem though. I did make channels for rail in order to fit them correctly. Everythings seems ok till now.
    Tomorrow the grantry will be machined on CNC . I am impatient to see the results.

Aluminum gantry CNC machininig

The gantry of the CNC is from 20 mm tickness aluminum. Which I draw on Solidworks. These parts contains lot of holes and pockets. After hours of verifications. The G-code is produced. I used sprutcam for the CAM process, that I think is a very good CAM software. You may see on the images of the machining stages of the right and left gantry as well as one piece of the Z axis. all the process took about 6 hours. But the job is not done yet, the pieces should be separated by using a bandsaw. Hopefully I have a friend of mine who owns a big bandsaw.

to be continued ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCTek_0035.JPG   CNCTek_0036.JPG   CNCTek_0055.JPG   CNCTek_0061.JPG  

CNCTek_0060.JPG  

I was so busy to build my CNC that I forget to write some developement.
    So I mostly finished the gantry and the z axis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCTek_0019.JPG   CNCTek_0042.JPG   CNCTek_0040.JPG   CNCTek_0080.JPG  

CNCTek_0072.JPG  

what is the wall thickness on your steel tubing?

Nice work so far! Gantry uprights look real beefy!

hi,
    The wall thickness of the steel tubing is 4 mm.