586,103 active members*
3,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > How to wire g540 to trigger plasma start PM45

How to wire g540 to trigger plasma start PM45

I understand how to jumper the hand torch to bypass the safety switch. I also know which pins to short to fire the torch I do not understand how to wire the 540 output to short the pins to fire the torch. Can some one offer a simple diagram as how to wire this. Also if a relay is needed can you suggest a specific one? I have a KL 4813 48v 13a unregulated supply and a 12v 16a power supply.The Powermax 45 with hand torch.

Thanks

Bump

Really no one has any input on this?:tired:
    Let me rephrase the question. Can I control the torch on and off with the
    Gecko 540 output directly without using a relay? If I need a relay can someone suggest a good source for relays compatible with the 48v 13a dc power supply?
    Would a solid state relay be a good choice? How would I wire the relay to trigger the torch. I have found data to help me configure Mach 3 just need help on the questions above.

Without knowing details about the electronics
    inside your plasma cutter, a mechanical relay
    is the only safe choice.

Soigeneris sells one that will work fine.

www.cnczone.com/48V_Relay_Kit-details.aspx

The CNCZone reply editor for some reason keeps
    trashing the URL link in my reply, of if the above
    link says CNCZone, please substitute Soigeneris.

Regards,
    Steve Stallings
    www.PMDX.com

Thanks the cutter is a Powermax 45 it states in the manual that Start (start plasma) Normally open 18 VDC open circuit voltage at START terminals. Requires dry contact closure to activate.pins 3, 4. iI ordered 2 relays today I might need futher help!

Quote Originally Posted by Galtor View Post
    Thanks the cutter is a Powermax 45 it states in the manual that Start (start plasma) Normally open 18 VDC open circuit voltage at START terminals. Requires dry contact closure to activate.pins 3, 4. iI ordered 2 relays today I might need futher help!

Biggest problem I see is that the 45 will not allow you to fire a hand torch using the START inputs so it doesn't matter how you hook up the G540. If you do have the hand torch you will need to find the torch switch wires coming from the hand torch (there are two wires for the switch) and tap into each wire using something like the ScotchLoc wire taps. Any NO relay set of contacts on a relay you can trigger with the G540 Output as per their manual, will then work to turn on the torch. Once you get there you will have lots of other stuff to deal with (:-)

The CPC connector on the back has all of the signals you need to do a CNC interface IF you are using the Machine torch setup. In actuality all you are doing is shorting the pins designated as "START". You can even test it with a jumper but as stated it won't work with a hand torch.

The outputs on a G540 are "open collector" with the common tied back to Motor Neg. It takes the output from being "open" to Motor NEG (common) when you turn it on. The relay you use needs a voltage source (equal to the rated coil voltage of the relay) on the + end of the relay coil, and the - end of the relay coil is tied to the output from the G540. The power source you use for the relay has to have it's neg side tied to Motor Neg for it to work

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Thanks Tom,
    I was going to use the" small wire jumper trick" to bypass the hand torch safety
    switch and make up a CPC cable to short the 2 pins. I ordered the relay and will try to figure how to wire it up. it is 48vdc and my power supply is 48vdc.
    I think I hook output 1 to the positive on the relay coil and negative to the negative on the power supply? then hook the 2 wires from the CPC that I have to build to the other side of the relay? Then when Mach sends the signal to output 17 it pulls in the coil which shorts the start plasma input and fires the torch? :drowning:

Maybe this basic image diagram I made may help you out a bit...

ShopDroids CNC Photo Gallery - Forum/g540 plasma conn
    My Blog
    http://www.needfulthings.net/tulsaturbo/myblog/index.php

Thanks Kelly,
    That is what I was looking for.

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my plasma table's controller. The previous one already had connections on the box for my plasma trigger and was wired internally. My new control box houses a Gecko G540 board and I am having difficulties getting my plasma trigger to activate through Mach3.

I have exhausted any existing threads on this, and have tried all of the suggested remedies.

I have wired a set of relays just like the diagram in this thread (although, not sure what the second relay is for that has power and output to it only.).

I have tried any number of combinations in ports & pins, Output 1, Pin 17, Spindle setting M3=output 1, etc.

I'd imagine I am missing something in the Mach3 configuration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

1. Get a jumper wire and test from the Output Terminal your relay is attached to pin 12 (-VDC). Does it turn on the relay? If it goes not you have the relay wired wrong or it is not a conventional DC relay. All the output does is when active connect the OUTPUT pin to output common.(-VDC). If the relay has +48 from the same supply that poweres the G540 than it will turn on the relay. You can test the torch fire itself by simple shorting the two wires going to the torch fire connection together. It should fire the torch. If both of those test work then it is qa setting in MACH

You control outputs in MACH by "mapping" a physical port and pin to a signal...in this case output1 ion MACH. The G540 spec sheet shows four open outputs in this case Ouput0 is a valid output (main terminal block Pos7) and is triggered via port1 pin 14 in MACH. If you want to keep continuity in naming Ouput1 (pos 8) is triggered by Port 1 pin 1. To simply turn that output on in MACH using a button you just need to have those pins configured. MACH has to be out of reset AND the CP Charge pump on the G540 has to be active to let outputs fire

The spindle and such defines what G-Code turns on what Output SIGNAL name in Mach. The default in most setups is M03 and M04 both turn on output 1 (which you have mapped in Ports & Pins Output Signals to the proper output name on the G540. What may be confusing is you do not have to uses the same names on both ends.

I really appreciate the input Torchhead! Thank you!

I'm going to troubleshoot this tomorrow.

Just to be certain regarding the relay test; I just need to ground the relay? So run a wire from pin 12 (ground) to the output pin on the relay?

My torch is definitely firing when I connect the 2 leads that are tapped into the torch trigger.

By the way, does the second relay in the diagram (the relay that the torch is not connected to) make any sense in turning the torch on? Attachment 221276

No No! you take pin 12 on the G540 main strip to pin 5 on the same strip. DO NOT trie to fire the torch though the 48 volt circuit...you will fry your torch input.

The "output" of the relay should be basic swtich contact and ISOLATED from the control side. One side of the relay coil is attached to 48VDC the other is OPEN until the OUTPUT on the G540 turns on and connects it to -VDC common. Hopefully you have real 48V relays with coils and NOT a solid state relay. Most will not work with either DC or zero current.

Thank again Torchhead!

Please see photo of my relays. Are these good?

Attachment 221288

It bothers me the specs for the 30A side are all in AC which leads me to believe it is not a conventional RELAY. Regardless it is about 100 times overkill for a torch relay since it only needs a few mills of capability. I have my doubts if this will work. Bottom line is if you trigger this relay by putting 48V across the 48V terminals and you do not hear a click it is a solid state relay and will not work. It may sound like a good idea to use a 30A relay for a 30 ma load but it may not be. Lack of current on a heavy duty relay can build up oxides on the contacts and ultimately cause intermittent operation..

You only need one SPST relay to fire the torch and it can be a 1A contact rated. I would not use more than a 3A .