586,094 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

do i need laser engraver?

I am thinking of "starting" a very small business, but at the beginning it can be more hobby than business. I've been wondering if laser engraving machine can fulfill my needs.
    I want to do wooden handmade toys. In some cases i need to color them and i want to make borders of color zones by "burning" the surface a bit.
    I don't need a deep engraver. The area may not be bigger than cca. 30x20 cm (A4).

1) Do i need laser engraver to burn a surface a bit? Maybe another machines exist, just i dont know about them.
    2) If yes, please can you give me some info which products are suitable for me? Price, as always, the cheaper the better ( but I prefer a bit more expensive but reliable than cheaper but crap). You can advice even exact model.

I think you would have a lot of fun with a small laser and you would find more and more uses for it as you experiment.
    As for colouring the wood parts then the technique used in Marquetry for darkening wood or edges of parts by immersing in hot sand may be a whole lot cheaper and possibly even work better.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

I agree with Tweakie. I think the laser would open up additional possibilities, but if you aren't interested in exploring other options a laser is probably overkill.

Zax.

thanx

i will check things you mention, thanx

Hi.
    I checked the Marquetry, it is not what i want.
    I didnt understand the idea with hot sand. I can not imagine it. Is it on youtube? What are the key words?

I want to paint wood with colors like green, red ... and borders between them i want to have with thin dark (black?) line, thats why i am thinking of using laser. Just can not imagine doing these lines without laser. This was the point if i really do need laser or not.

Thanx anyway and i'll welcome any other discussion about which laser machine is the most suitable for me.

P.

A laser would be suitable and you won't need anything too powerful.

I have also done this with CNC and a pyro pen, it's slow compared to a laser though and I agree laser would be a better option.

Zax.

Re: hot sand wood burning (marquetry)

I don't believe it is applicable for your application but here are some examples:
    Wood Inlay text, Section 1
    French marquetry - French marqueter - Video - Frres Allot