586,106 active members*
3,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Fanuc o3p controller rs232

hi everyone, sorry if this is a repeat question but i have just bought an Amada Aries 222 with a fanuc o3p controller. i would like to communicate with this machine via an rs232 cable and i was wondering if any of you would have a pin out diagram? i know it would be easier to buy a cable but ill be honest with you, i can get the bits for nothing at work and i thought it would be a good exercise to make one. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

This works for me:

DB25M (CNC) <------------> DB9F (PC)

1 <---------(SHIELD)--------- No Connection
    2 <--------------------------> 2
    3 <--------------------------> 3
    7 <--------------------------> 5
    4 & 5 jumped CNC end only
    6, 8, 20 jumped CNC end only

great!! thanks, i'll give it a try

ok, so i've made the lead, belled it out and it's all cool. i connected the machine and the computer. adjusted my DNC settings on the computer to 9600, even, 7, 2, iso, iso, Xon Xoff. but it doesn't seem to work properly. when i load into the machine it sends the first 2 lines of the program and throws an error. when i suck a program out of the machine it says the the file transfer is complete but when i open the file there is nothing in there. can anyone help me??

Kluppy

You will find pinouts to suit Fanuc in the FAQ of my website - url below

regrads

Les Robbins

EditComm - CNC communication software - Les Robbins CNC Services

Quote Originally Posted by kluppy View Post
    ok, so i've made the lead, belled it out and it's all cool. i connected the machine and the computer. adjusted my DNC settings on the computer to 9600, even, 7, 2, iso, iso, Xon Xoff. but it doesn't seem to work properly. when i load into the machine it sends the first 2 lines of the program and throws an error. when i suck a program out of the machine it says the the file transfer is complete but when i open the file there is nothing in there. can anyone help me??
    What error are you getting? If the cable has been made in accordance with the configuration described by Dave and machine parameters are set correctly, with the PC software setting set to match, then you should have no problems.

Purchase a RS232 tester from an electronics store and place it inline with the cable connection. Try sending a program from the machine to the PC and look for activity on the pin 2 led from the machine. If there is activity and you get nothing at the PC, its probable that the PC software is incorrectly configured.

Regards,

Bill

thanks guys, yeah i need to figure out how to check the machine settings. any hints?

Kluppy

To work with xon/xoff I think you will find you need the following links in th 9 pin D type (not shown in the pin out supplied by Dave)

link pins 7 and 8 on 9pin D type (CTS - RTS)

link pins 1, 4 and 6 on 9pin D type

regards

Les Robbins

do i need to have xon/xoff enabled?? in case you guys haven't picked up on it i'm a bit of a novice with this stuff. if you can recommend what settings i should be using i'm more then happy to listen.

Kluppy

The pin out you have been provided with is for software handshaking (xon/xoff) hence all the control signals are linked out.

I am not familiar with the 03P control therefore I can not advice you on control parameter setting.

Your PC software must be set to xon/xoff for it to work with this cable pin out.

If you are unsure if you PC software is working correctly you could download the evaluation version of EditComm from my website for test purposes - url below

regards

Les Robbins

do i need to have xon/xoff enabled?? in case you guys haven't picked up on it i'm a bit of a novice with this stuff. if you can recommend what settings i should be using i'm more then happy to listen.
    Kluppy,
    Just use the cable configuration exactly as suggested by Dave in Post #2. For Xon Xoff handshaking you only need to have the hardware pins at the machine end bridged to keep the machine's uart happy. Make sure you have the machine control parameter set to use DC1 to DC4 characters (software handshake characters).

Post the error that you're getting when sending data to the machine; it will be easier to help you if we know what the problem is.

Regards,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Kluppy,
    Just use the cable configuration exactly as suggested by Dave in Post #2. For Xon Xoff handshaking you only need to have the hardware pins at the machine end bridged to keep the machine's uart happy. Make sure you have the machine control parameter set to use DC1 to DC4 characters (software handshake characters).

Post the error that you're getting when sending data to the machine; it will be easier to help you if we know what the problem is.

Regards,

Bill
    Bill

Surely it would be better to link out CTS, RTS, DSR, DCD & DTR at the PC end as well ?

The control signals on the PC end can not cause problems then ?

regards

Les Robbins

Bill, the error that comes up says something about "did not recognise char" which i assume means characters, so i guess that could be the DC1 to DC4 setting you spoke about. i will get the exact wording tomorrow when i go back to try a few things you guys have suggested.

thanks alot for all your help so far guys, it's very much appreciated.

Kluppy,

Regards,

Bill

Bill, the error that comes up says something about "did not recognise char" which i assume means characters, so i guess that could be the DC1 to DC4 setting you spoke about. i will get the exact wording tomorrow when i go back to try a few things you guys have suggested.

No, the DC1 to DC4 characters only affect flow control. DC1 (asc17) and DC3 (asc19) characters are Xon Xoff respectively. When the control and PC software is set to Xon Xoff handshaking, the handshake characters are processed by the respective Uarts and are not seen by the data processing routines of either the machine or PC. The error that you're experiencing when sending to the machine normally means that you have an illegal character in the program you're sending; check your program for errors. It could also be that the baud rate being used on the PC software is different to that set at the machine. However, this mismatch in baud rate normally results in a "Framing Error" . Of the two lines that are received before the Error occurs, are the characters received correct? If they are then the Baud rate will be correct.

Its been quite a while since I've set up an O3 control and I don't have a manual for this control. I do remember that its a fairly basic control and I think the only parameter that can be set is for baud rate, so its likely that the DC1 to DC4 is set. If memory serves me, Xon Xoff handshaking is the only option you have, and maybe setting of the number of Stop Bits. Data bits used by Fanuc controls is 7.

Quote Originally Posted by lesr
    Bill

Surely it would be better to link out CTS, RTS, DSR, DCD & DTR at the PC end as well ?

The control signals on the PC end can not cause problems then ?

regards

Les Robbins
    Les,
    It makes no difference if they are connected or not when using Xon Xoff. Having them bridged will not cause a problem, but they are not required. Dave's suggested pin out is correct and will not be the cause for failed communication. Unless RTS/CTS handshaking is set at the PC, these handshaking lines are ignored.

Regards,

Bill

I've found my notes on the series 3 control, I'm fairly sure, but not 100%, that your control uses the same parameter numbers. That being the case, set the following parameters:

Parameter

0014 - ASR 33 = 0 (RS/232 I/O)
    0069 = Baud Rate. Set to 4800 (starting point)

Machine Control Set Page Settings
    I/O = 1
    ISO Format = 1

Set PC comms settings to:

Handshake method Xon Xoff
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    Parity Bit = Even
    Baud Rate = 4800 (starting point)

Regards,

Bill

thanks bill, i'll try these settings first thing in the morning and let you know how i go. again all your help is greatly appreciated.

hi guys, i tried putting in the settings that bill recommended but i had just one problem. i couldn't find the page to change the parameters! i found the machine set page but it didn't have an I/O setting to change.

hi guys, i tried putting in the settings that bill recommended but i had just one problem. i couldn't find the page to change the parameters! i found the machine set page but it didn't have an I/O setting to change.
    Do you have a Fanuc manual that has a listing of the control parameters? If so check the parameter number that has a bit labeled ASR33.
    1. If the parameter number is 0002, then the parameter numbers will be in accordance with "O" series parameters.
    2. If the parameter number is 0014, then the parameter numbers will be in accordance with "3" series parameters.

If you don't have a manual, display the above parameters at the machine and see which parameter has a bit labeled ASR33. If the control is typical of a series 3 then there will be no label displayed.

Post back the result and I'll post the procedure for the appropriate control.

Regards,

Bill

sorry bill but where will i find these parameters on the machine?

Do you have a Fanuc manual that has a listing of the control parameters? If so check the parameter number that has a bit labeled ASR33.
    1. If the parameter number is 0002, then the parameter numbers will be in accordance with "O" series parameters.
    2. If the parameter number is 0014, then the parameter numbers will be in accordance with "3" series parameters.

If you don't have a manual, display the above parameters at the machine and see which parameter has a bit labeled ASR33. If the control is typical of a series 3 then there will be no label displayed.

Post back the result and I'll post the procedure for the appropriate control.

Regards,

Bill

sorry bill but where will i find these parameters on the machine?
    I've sent you a PM; please check.

Regards,

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12