586,110 active members*
3,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Problem using "Boolean Remove" for a 3D shape - Now more problems!

Problem using "Boolean Remove" for a 3D shape - Now more problems!

Hi, I'm a bit quiet at the moment, so I'm using some free time to expand my MCX knowledge.

I'm playing with the 3D part maker just now, using some videos on Youtube to learn it.

I've done some basic shapes with some success and now I'm trying to be a bit more ambititous.
    What I'm trying to do is to select the cone as my tool to remove it from the body, I can't seem to select the cone as a tool and I can't work out why, I bet it's something silly as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lucas1.jpg  

To do a "Booleen Operation" ( add, subtract, common ) the items must be seperate solids

For an add or a subtract operation, the first solid selected is the base item ( the bit that has items added to or subtracted from ), adding can have more than two solids selected to combine together, but subtracting is best done by selecting only (1) secondary solid body.

The resulting solid should be a single entity
    ie. two rectangular bars that fully cross each other,,,,you can add them together to get a solid cross, but if you subtract, it would result in 2 seperate bodies of the 1 solid, this will give an error.
    Solution......"Slice" the "base" solid into 2 sererate bodies and do the subtract on both items

I got it!

When I created the cone I had "surface" selected as opposed to "solids". After that was sorted it worked fine and I got the part done.

Quite pleased with myself given I've never used this feature before!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lucas2.jpg  

Next problem, when I try to save, I get greeted with a warning saying "Some solids are in need of regeneration. You may not be able to retrieve this file again. Continue anyway?"

Then, if I go to the Solids manager and click on "regen" then I get an error saying "Problem regenerating chain".

Again, it's probably something very simple but I can't seem to work it out.

Any guidance?

Cheers

Lucas

The geometry that was used to create that solid has been modified, or a section ( entity ) was deleted / moved or whatever.

You need to go into that soild's geometry and re-define the chain again, then regen that solid

It is a good idea to keep the construction geometry on it's own level and not modify it at all after the solid creation