586,069 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Ok all you smart guys!! lol need some help! Refurb !!!!

Ok all you smart guys!! lol need some help! Refurb !!!!

Ok, I have a great looking machine in the back of my shop and want to refurb it with new controllers. I am going to post pics and could everyone please take a look and give me your thoughts. This should be fun!

Dan Jordan

p.s. I have an Electronics Degree and another in Computer science, so your not dealing with an idiot. Just thought i'd add that for those of you that wonder if i can handle it.

Ok, the machine has not been used over 4 years. It is about 15-17 years old i think. It has no manufacturer sticker or serial label. It has custom boards with handwritten software ver. info on each e-prom. I do not know what motors or pretty much anything about it. Hopefully the motors and everything else is good and I can just update it. The table is built really well. Here are the pics.

table-full | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

motors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

side-image | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

One of the motors is a VEXTA 2 phase bipolar stepper, so that is all good but the other i can not see the sticker. Get some more close up pictures of it and other parts especially the moving parts.
    There is a belt there that goes from one side to the other and i can not figure out what it does from the pic, so more pictures.
    Generally it looks like something that is easy to modify with minimum effort just check the rails for rust or bending before you plug it in.
    Regards,
    Tom

P.S.
    Welcome to the club as far as electronic and computer hardware is concerned, but i am also good with mechanics and cars and..... never-mind!!!!!

I'm pretty sure it is a belt drive system. I saw one posted that someone built and posted in the forums that seems to operate the same way. The previous owner said he bought the system up in Massachusetts about 20 years ago but could not remember the company. I have looked all over this freaking machine for some type of identification but no luck. He said he used it many times and one day it went out and no one was able to work on it. I got it with the business and now i'm ready to get it working. It has three cable connection fittings on the side of the control case. I'm hoping all the pinouts can be traced and it will interface with some newer controller boards without a ton of work. The table is REALLY stable and is made entirely or 1/4" and 1/2" steel. It probably weighs 3000lb. Seriously. He said the company flew down and assembled it. You can't see it but the table is in it's own room and has quite a bit of ventelation equipment too. Should be a good router room for me.

I will take a bunch of photos of all the cable interfaces, motors, and everything i can get to tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I'm not gonna rush this SO EVERYONE THAT HAS SOMETHING TO ADD OR SAY, PLEASE DO!! :-)

Dan Jordan

Damn that is the mother of all timing belts! Ger, you need to check that out!

That's quite the belt drive! I was going to say it was the same as the ServoBelt thing, but realized there's no lower belt to mesh with the top one. Just a "normal" belt drive, with the belt going (way) up to the motor between two rollers. Never seen the drive motor that far from the rollers, must have been for space reasons. (like where they placed the motor was the only spot available) There must be some huge shoulder bolts and bearings inside those rollers not to bend...

Pretty cool! Was it a milling machine, or some type of plotter / cutter?

It has been used to cut sign pieces from foam, plastic, and various sheet metals. More pics coming here in just a bit...

Dan

NEW PHOTOS

Here are the photo's i took today

Flickr: dhj2003's Photostream

There are quite a few of them and they are higher resolution so it may take a minute to download each one.

The drive belt is 3 1/8 wide.

The Small motor is hard to see in the picture. Here is the info

Pacific Scientific
    SIGMAX 1.8 Deg
    3.15 V(DC) Unipolar
    3.8 A(DC) Unipolar
    Model # E31NRFT-LNF-NS-00
    Has a 1 1/8 inch belt

Looks like a decent vacuum pump, looks like a Gast which are nice pumps, probably 3ph?
    If so, may have to get a VFD.
    A decent looking P.S. and probably with new drives and Mach is practically all you need otherwise?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

A lot of neat stuff there! I like the way the bellows are done, I might have to borrow the idea. If the stepper drivers turn out to be step/direction driven, they may work as-is with Mach3 and a break out board replacing the processor board.. Considering they were sized to drive the motors.. Then again, if one of them died that could be what killed the machine..

Oh yeah - where's the time machine? Apparently your pictures were taken tomorrow going by the date on Flickr!

Lol,,, Did not notice the date but I did take them today at around 11am or so. Thanks for the info guys. Any ideas on other controllers? Are my cable connectors standard for CNC machine/motors etc..?

Those appear to be Amp CPC connectors, they are used widely in place of the more expensive metal MS connectors.
    There is nothing wrong with them in the application you have.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

Dan Jordan

Thanks The Man!

Hey, i appreciate all the info. I'm sure the pump is not converted to VFD. But I will take a look tomorrow. What drives would you recommend? Maybe a package deal w/MACH? I have no idea which manufacturers are "Here today and gone tomorrow" lol...

Thanks again "The Man"

Check the pump if 3 ph first?
    Gecko have a good reputation by the posts here, I don't use steppers so I have limited input there.
    Al.

Albert E.