586,103 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

No Boot up HELP!!!

Hi Everyone,

I have a VMC 15XT that has been giving me the start jitters.

Flip the disconnect, hit the green power up button...sometimes everything is good and sometimes not. When it doesn't boot up, I turn off the disconnect and flip it back on, hit the green button and good to go.

Well today nothing...I started at the disconnect to make sure I had 480VAC 3ph, sure thing we were good.

I called the Fadal parts dealer in my area and he said it was the Powersupply?

My electrician who wired the shop and machines just happend to stop by as this went down. So he looked at it and said it was a computer power supply and we could canibalize one from a dead computer we had at the shop.

Swaped everything and still nothing.

Checked to make sure I had 5V and it measured 5.04V
    Checked to the 12V legs and we were good.

The only thing that was questionable was the -12V only measured -10.74V

Can that be the reason why the machine will not boot up?

We even bypassed the green switch by jumping pin #8 and #6

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to actually check and diagnose the issue, rather than just being a parts swapper.

Thanks everyone

check voltage to power sup (120), 5V+, 5V-/12V+, 12 V-; some have 2 fusses.
    also check pwer dist board (1100-X.
    Power to amps chassis should be no less than 90V.
    E stop relays at 1100 board (fuses)

Hey, I'm not going to suggest that you try this (but here I am anyway, lol) but our 1997 5020A did this all the time. It got so bad I would be back there throwing the switch and hitting the button 10-15 times before it would finally boot.

Don't know why I did it but one day I held down the green button as I threw the switch on. Came right up.

Fadal tech looked at it 6-7 years ago and couldn't figure out why it was doing it or why what I did fixed it. He didn't like the idea, I know that, but what could I do? We left it run almost 24-7 and would only shut it down for long weekends. I would always try to fire it up normally once but it almost never worked so the next try I just held the button down. Worked every time.

Last year we were talking with the tech again about it as he was installing our 3016 and he said he knew how to fix it. Running like a champ now with a few new parts. If you think this may be the same problem I can look to see what it was he replaced.

Check E18 fuse if it ever blew it causes E16 (solid white) fuse to blow...mostly caused by a work light wiring short. That is if you get red lights blinking on your lower cards...if not then you have a different issue.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Well I changed the power supply and solved the problem. Thanks for your help everyone.

Tri-Mag in Cali made the power supply and was very helpful. They were FADAL's supplier for these units and a new one was something like $175.