586,071 active members*
4,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Puma 2500lsy

Page 1 of 3 123

Puma 2500lsy

This is a thread for the PUMA 2500LSY Turning/Mill from Daewoo

Our Company just purchase 3 new Machines, one of which is a PUMA 2500LSY with a Fanuc 18i-TB input panel, 14 tool stations, with 4 live stations, Barfeeder, chip remover, Y-axis, Thru coolant for everthing, Part catch and auto remover, and so many other toys to list. and about +30hp spendel, to start off. We currently use a Solidworks 2006 Professional and FeatureCAM 2006 with upgrades on FeatureMill3D, Feature Turn/Mill, and FeatureRECOGNITION. Our Company is not new to Machining but is new to Programming and CNC work.

I look forward to learning from everyone with thier question and suggestions regarding this system (group)

Just curious. How have things gone with the new machine? We have been thinking of purchasing a new lathe but have put the project on hold for a while. I've looked at Daewoo and have been impressed with options and cost. I'm trying to gather as much info on them while I wait for the go ahead on the project so I'd really like to know how you like it and of any problems or issues that you have. Most I've heard from have been impressed and like their machines and service. Thanks for any feedback.
    Gunner

I have a 2500SY at work...

Mechanicly it is a great machine...

Electronicly it has some problems with "cut off conformation" and a few other special functions that they have now fixed...

Design wise, I feel they screwed up putting such a small Diameter Turret on such a large chucked machine. With a 10" chuck, you should be able to face down to center, an inch away from the jaws, and still not be able to rub your ajacent tools on the chuck. (AKA Clearance Nightmare)...

Thanks for the reply Cincron. I'll have to keep that in mind as we review them. Our plan is to first replace our KIA-21 which is mainly used for chucking. We do plan on doing some bar work with a collet chuck set up too. Do you think the Daewoo would be better suited for barfeeding with a collet chuck setup? Smaller chuck may help to reduce the clearance issue. We will be looking for a new bar machine within the next couple of years. We have been purchasing Mori's and haven't had any major issues but All the goodies are optional, $$$. I like the fact that you get all the goodies at a good price with the Daewoo. I know they will do a good job for a few years after purchased new. My question is will they hold up like a Mori 5-10 years down the road?
    Gunner

We use our Daewoo's for mostly barfeed work. They have 3-jaw chucks.

We also have 2 that do bar end work and they are collet chucks.

I personally prefer a Jaw chuck for just about any work (unless you do alot of thin wall pipe or tube). In our present days, there are so many jaw configurations available you can turn your 3-jaw into just about anything. There are "Collet Pad" type jaws that can do a many sizes if your application needs to be.

If you are going to barfeed, I would just stick with the standard Hard 3-Jaw setup expecially if you run alot of material with scale on it (good ol hot rolled material). A good set of Serrated hard jaws would BITE into the material preventing most of your pushback and slippage. A collet chuck may slip with these types of materials even if you have a good set of serated pads, or carbide coated pads.

The Daewoo comes with a Kitagawa Chuck. This is a very good chuck that will give you many of hours of maintenance fee runtime. If you do a lot of setups, you could look into a "Quick Change" chuck for ease of jaw change. Remember, a quick change chuck means more maintenance. You MUST clean your chuck every 8-hours of runtime in order for them to grip and function correctly.

Mori is a great machine, but from what I hear Daewoo is creeping up on them fast. Daewoo just needs to straiten out their Ladders and their special function codes. Daewoo also needs to pay closer attention to detail on the newer machines like the TT and MX series. I feel they released the TT series a bit too early giving me a bad attitude towards them. I must say that Daewoo does have great service though. If they even think that you are going to bad-mouth their machine they have someone come out for service or just a "courtesy call"

Mechanicaly I think they're going to be a good machine, but we have had some electrical and logic problems with the TT series. Our 2500SY has been running good so far. it is about 1 year old and no major issues besides the clearance thing...

Well its been a slow start up with this machine, come to find out it was missing a few parts when it came in, most of them where in the sub Spendel, some to do with coolant. We also come to find out that the machine has a few extra M codes that they do not list in the book, (ill go back later in our post and look it up so I can post it here) Other than the problems we list above this machine is running great, we have yet to run it at FULL Speed, (working and speed and feed issues).

The clearance on this machine is tight!! we have spendel to spendel running with in .06 from each other and tools next to spendels at .04 from collission. Scary, got to love that M110 code, have to use it alot in the post. We just purcahase the full Machine Sim (featureCAM) so we can see everything in the machine running at once with all tools, spendels and parts. But thats a mess load of set up, plan on doing on mating and parts in solidworks in inserting into FeatureCAM.

Well... There are alot of code not in Daewoo's book... your exactly right...

I have never call Daewoo to get an updated list either. It was hell getting a correct M-code list for a TT2500SY....

If you need some help, I would be glad to do so...
    ~Tony~

Do you have a sample program of simple bar work, and top cut for the Daewoo. I've just bought a 250msb and an smw space saver. These were never hooked together and smw sent a cable w/ wrong pinouts. I think we've got that solved. A programming example sure would shorten the learning curve. Thank you in advance
    Jim

Arrow

We do not use the part catcher to catch the remnant. For one, the remnant hardly fits and for two it was very hard for me to make the -B- axis come forward and catch the remnant consistantly...

At the end of a part program we use this:

N220(==PUSH BAR==)
    /2 G65 P8005 X3.2 S800 M4 F.003
    G65 P8001 X3. W-.6 Z.035

The First G65 explained:
    /2= only used when the bar feeder is at end of bar
    G65= use a sub program with variables
    P8005= states what sub program to use
    X3.2= how far above the stock for top cut position
    S800= 800 direct rpm
    M4= Spindle Direction
    F.013 Face the bar at .013 per rev.

The Second G65 explained:
    G65= use a sub program with variables
    P8001= states what sub program to use
    X3.= how far above the stock for top cut position
    W-.6= How far to push the bar into the spindle with a bar stop
    Z.035= How infront of Z0. for face stop on the next.

These would be the macro's for the G65's
    %
    O8001(BAR PUSH)
    (MODIFIED FOR 2500SY)
    (W=#23=START POS)
    (Z=#26=END POS)
    IF[#23EQ#0]GOTO1313
    IF[#26EQ#0]GOTO1314
    G30V0
    G30U0
    G30W0
    T0909M5
    G99G40G54
    M31
    M69(CHUCK OPEN)
    M110
    G0X#24
    G1G98Z[#23+.5]F300.
    M51(PUSH)
    G1Z#26
    M68(CLOSE CHUCK)
    G4U.2
    G0W.2
    G30U0
    G30W0
    G99
    M99
    (NOTES BELOW)
    N1313#3000=23(NO -W-)
    N1314#3000=26(NO -Z-)
    M30
    %

O8005(CATCH REMNANT BY HAND)
    (USE G59 WORK OFFSET FOR TOP-CUT)
    G30V0.
    G30U0.
    G30W0.
    M00(GET READY)
    G4U3.0
    M31
    M69(OPEN & DROP)
    M51
    M68(CHUCK CLOSE)
    M00(GET BACK)
    T0101M5
    G99G40G59
    G97S#19M#13
    G0X#24Z0M8
    G1X-.05F#9
    G0W.05
    X5.0
    G30V0.
    G30U0.M5
    G30W0.M9
    M99
    %
    ~Tony~

Tony, thanks man. I'm not familiar with macro programming yet, but pretty sure I can cipher (or at least convert) what you have here into something we can deal with. I really appreciate you responding. Informative and thorough.
    Thanks again
    Jim

We just ordered one, it will be delivered April 21. Any updates on your experiences with this machine? Anyone using them for lights out production at night? Anyone using the MTA Super 80 barfeed?

Well,

Our Daewoo's have preformed quite nice. In the beginning of my experience with these machines, I had an "attitude" because the TT2500SY had so many issues with the ladder...

Here, 3-4 years later, these machines are still running strong with no major issues. The most failure we had (non operator issue) was the lube pump went bad...

Never heard of a MTA Super 80. We are all LNS barfeeders... from our swiss machines to the multi tasking machines...

We run larger bar (3" bar) and our lights out production is as many pcs as the bar can make. Remnant extraction is not a full proof system. We used the parts catcher to remove the bar remnant, and it doesn't catch the part about 5% of the time. a 3" remnant floating around in the machine is not a good thing...

Anyone have any better idea's to remove the remnant from the machine? (besides dropping it into the chip conveyor, which causes damage to the track)
    ~Tony~

I dont have a daewoo but we do have a 12' LNS sprint barfeeding into a Kia SKT250MS with collet chucks on Main and Sub with a LNS Blaze air vacum unloader on the sub spindle side. The Blaze air is amazing!!!!! It sucks parts out of the subspindle ranging from .750 to 2.5" solid bar up to 36" long.

In my bar change and top cut prg (I use "/2 P9999" to call it) I have the subspindle come up and grab the remnent and then it goes home and the blaze air sucks it out and it rolls out on to a tray with the other parts and then continues the bar loading and top cut prg. and then returns to the main calling prg. and starts making parts again. We made over 60,000 parts last year using this setup.

looking to buy a doosan

we are looking to purchase a doosan dual spindel single turret live tool. we are also looking at mori and nakamura. have you ran mori's and nakamura and how do they compare with the doosan.

does the doosan hold its tolerance in alluminum overnight and what problems have you ran into lights out production.

we are looking to run a bar feeder and lights out. i just want to make sure it can do what we need it to do. any suggestions or help would be appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cincron View Post
    Well,

Our Daewoo's have preformed quite nice. In the beginning of my experience with these machines, I had an "attitude" because the TT2500SY had so many issues with the ladder...

Here, 3-4 years later, these machines are still running strong with no major issues. The most failure we had (non operator issue) was the lube pump went bad...

Never heard of a MTA Super 80. We are all LNS barfeeders... from our swiss machines to the multi tasking machines...

We run larger bar (3" bar) and our lights out production is as many pcs as the bar can make. Remnant extraction is not a full proof system. We used the parts catcher to remove the bar remnant, and it doesn't catch the part about 5% of the time. a 3" remnant floating around in the machine is not a good thing...

Anyone have any better idea's to remove the remnant from the machine? (besides dropping it into the chip conveyor, which causes damage to the track)

We sell the MTA Super 80 on our bar machines and it works very well. It is a servo driven unit and is good for heavy duty use on large diameter bars. It is less expensive than some of the other brands, but should give you many years of good service. Regarding Lights Out, I would contact Jeff Roth at Chasco Machine and Manufacturing - he is running a Daewoo and a number of our machines Lights Out, including weekends and holidays. He is very open to helping with questions, etc. Jeff can be reached at 727-815-3510.

we are looking to purchase a doosan dual spindel single turret live tool. we are also looking at mori and nakamura. have you ran mori's and nakamura and how do they compare with the doosan.

does the doosan hold its tolerance in alluminum overnight and what problems have you ran into lights out production.

we are looking to run a bar feeder and lights out. i just want to make sure it can do what we need it to do. any suggestions or help would be appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admachine View Post

Never have ran Nakamura but they are the cats meow. Supper dupper rigid...HAHA I personally like them better than mori or doosan or my KIA.

We sell a different model - the Eurotech Elite and would love the opportunity to quote you a machine. Our customers use them all night and they hold tolerances. He runs both aluminum and stainless in a "lights out" mode. He also has two Daewoo's. He had a hard time holding tolerance on the Y axis Daewoo until they installed a chiller unit on the coolant, but after the chiller unit, has not had problems.

Our 2500LSY was delivered on Monday. The machine setup is supposed to be today, barfeed installation tomorrow. This is a large machine for those of you who have small shops. Takes a lot of floor space. And it no longer comes with Kitagawa chucks. Now it has Samchully chucks on it. I will post updates as we get the machine running.

How to load programs?

We are looking at ways to load programs into the control, a Fanuc 18i-TB. So far, we have only been able to load 2 programs at a time. This can be a problem when you are using complex programs that have many subprograms. Anyone find a way to load a complete program, including all subs at once? We are using a memory card adaptor in the pc card port.

Page 1 of 3 123