586,096 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

common feed rates

I am in the process of designing my own laser cutter and i was chasing information on common feed rates for different laser power. At the moment i am considering an 80W chinese CO2 laser.

Can anyone give me a rough idea on the feed rates for some of these matterials:
    • 5mm acrylic
    • 2.5mm acrylic
    • fabric
    • 3ply poard
    • 5mm particle board

I imagine that the thicker acrlics could be quite slow but fabrics would cut very quickly. Does anyone have experience with these.

If you plan to engrave (raster) it will be important to keep the inertia down, as you will want fast speeds in the scanning direction. I would recommend at least 100mm/s (~250ipm) for both axis, and if you plan to do much engraving I would double it for the scanning axis.

On the slow speed end for thicker vector cutting you will want to be able to run at slow speeds, target 2mm/s.

Your actual cutting / engraving speeds will vary depending on the material and power it can take without excess damage - but the above should give you some idea of parameters. I am sure Tweakie will have some good advice, and check out Bart's forum (buildlog.net - CNC Laser Buildlogs).

Zax.

200mmSec doesnt sound too bad. I was planning on a maximum speed of 1000mmSec+

I am considering a fairly large build at 2X1.5M with ball screws and servo drives. Hopefully that should give me the power and precision i want.