586,113 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G251X for Xylotex 425oz?

Hi, my Y axis cable pulled out and fried my Xylotex 3 axis driver. Was looking for an excuse to go Gecko anyway, so will the G251X drivers work for 4 wire Xylotex 425oz steppers? Everything looks good to me, but best to check with the experts before ordering.

Thanks!

G251X 10 Microstep Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Rees Guitars View Post
    Hi, my Y axis cable pulled out and fried my Xylotex 3 axis driver. Was looking for an excuse to go Gecko anyway, so will the G251X drivers work for 4 wire Xylotex 425oz steppers? Everything looks good to me, but best to check with the experts before ordering.

Thanks!

G251X 10 Microstep Drive
    If the machine ran well with the Xylotex then it will run as good or better with the Gecko drive due to the mid band compensation. If you need more performance than what you had with the Xylotex then increase the power supply voltage since you were most likely at 24v and you can go all the way to 50v with the gecko drives.

If they are the Xylotex 8 wire motors then they are 46v max according to their website if my math is correct.
    Use the formula 32 times the motors inductance in microhenries (mh) = max voltage.

They are 5 amp motors so if you need a lot more torque you would want a higher amp drive.

Disclaimer.

I need more coffee so I may not be making any sense.LOL
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Save yourself some work and get the G540, it has a break out board with charge pump and 4 G250 drives in it. It isn't a lot more than buying 3 drives and will save you a ton of work.

bob

The Stickers on the motors say 2.5A per phase. The G251X supports up to 3.5A per phase, right? Or is that overall? I have a 1k and 1.5k resistor connected in series for each 2.5k current set resistor.

30 ft of 4 core wire is on the way, I'll be taking my time to make sure I get these puppies wired up correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rees Guitars View Post
    The Stickers on the motors say 2.5A per phase. The G251X supports up to 3.5A per phase, right? Or is that overall? I have a 1k and 1.5k resistor connected in series for each 2.5k current set resistor.

30 ft of 4 core wire is on the way, I'll be taking my time to make sure I get these puppies wired up correctly!
    Yes The G251X supports 3.5A/phase.
    Yes connecting the 1K and 1.5K in series will be fine.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Ok great, thanks! It lives, and no magic blue smoke... Only problem was all the steppers ran in the wrong direction. So I flipped the active dir signal in Mach 3. Is this an acceptable fix, or will I need to flop all the wires on the controllers?

I can hear the difference between the Geckos ans Xylotex already, so smooth!

So I flipped the active dir signal in Mach 3. Is this an acceptable fix, or will I need to flop all the wires on the controllers?
    That works, but another option is to check the "Reverse" column in Config > Homing Limits.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

A much simpler fix is to exchange the motor wires going to A and A bar on the G251 terminal block (exchange terminals 5 and 6).

Mariss