586,452 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

no motor movement

Just trying to put together a 3 axis system using Campbell break-out board, AnTek 40v powersupply and 3 G251x drives with 3.5a stepper motors. I have on the DC side the 3 fuses 5a that have all blown twice. I assume this indicated I have wired the motors wrong? or could the fuses be too small? I don't see any damage to the Geckos. I am trying to get this system finished to demonstrate it in Denver on Saturday so if the drives are fried, is it possible to get 3 more shipped Fed Ex overnight? Maybe this time I should go with a different drive?

Thanks
    Keith

I noticed that A and /A are in continuity on the motors and I wonder if that is the problem. Also can I connect the power with the motors disconnected or will this damage the drives?

Thanks.

I guess with total incompetence, I wired these motors because it is completely wrong. Not sure how such a dumb job was done but hopefully I can get it fixed and move on....

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by thespindoc View Post
    I noticed that A and /A are in continuity on the motors and I wonder if that is the problem. Also can I connect the power with the motors disconnected or will this damage the drives?

Thanks.
    I do not have experience to suggest any ideas on why you are blowing fuses, or what size the fuses should be, or whether you should be using slo-blo fuses as opposed to fast fuses. Perhaps you should contact Gecko directly for recommendations.

A and /A wires from the motor (disconnected from the drive) should normally show continuity - after all, the wires go to the same winding, and the winding would be expected to show a low resistance.

It should be OK to apply power to the drive while the motors are disconnected - just do not connect or disconnect the motors while power is applied to the drive. (A quick "thought experiment" - a Geckodrive G540 has 4 internal drives, and many people use them to drive only 3 axes, so that would leave one drive connected to the power supply, but not connected to a motor. It's done all the time.)