586,409 active members*
3,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > newbie getting closer

newbie getting closer

Hi all,

I just leveled my Cadet 8 with an OSP5020L controller. I have been browsing the books. I am ready to set up for the first time. My questions are how to set the part offset and the tool offsets. I read over the books and was left a little confused. I ran a program left in the machine and started to get a feel for how the distance to go works. I feel like I am in pretty good control of the machine, if I make an error. I have watched lathes for years, but I am a mill guy. I am out on my own here, so all help is appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

Step 1.
    Setup a tool with no offset on the Z axis. This will be your "Zero-set" tool. (i.e.Z axis tool offset length = 0.00)
    Step 2.
    Move the "Zero-Set" tool into a known position on the job, i.e. front face of the part.
    Step 3.
    Select the "Zero-Set" page.
    Step 4.
    Move the cursor to highlight the Z axis.
    Step 5.
    Press the soft key "CAL" (Calculate) and enter the Z axis position required, then press the "WRITE" key.
    CHECK THAT YOUR Z AXIS POSITION IS SHOWING THE ENTERED POSITION, on any of the AUTO/MDI/MANUAL screens.

Good to go!

Setting TOOL Data:
    1. Move the selected tool into a known position. i.e. after Zero setting the machine, touch the tool against a know face position (for Z)
    2. Select the Tool Data screen.
    3. Move cursor to the desired tool number and highlight Z axis (in this example).
    4. Press "F8" (Extend) and then "F3" (CAL).
    5. Enter the position of the face, then press the "WRITE" key.

The process is the same for setting X axis, measure a diameter, touch your desired tool to the diameter, CAL the diameter.

Good to go for tools.

I have always used Tool 1 for my Z-Axis ZERO Set tool, as this is my facing tool, but any tool can be used, just make sure all your tool lengths are referenced from the selected "Zero" tool.
    As for X axis, I have always Zero-set X0 as being the centreline of a Drill/Boring Bar holder.
    Touch off your ID Tools from the known ID and "CAL" the tool offset.

Hope this helps.
    Brian.

thanks I will try it tomorrow or Monday and let you know how it works. now I will have to learn to write a program to test it.

success. this was a concept that I needed a little push with. I felt like this was a big hurdle for me. I am cutting simple shapes, and I am on my way. thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post
    Step 4.
    Move the cursor to highlight the Z axis.
    Remember this step always, do not just push "cal" 0. When you go to the zero set page the highlight is on the X axis, you need to move it over to Z as you figured out. But hitting the 3 simple buttons; CAL--0---WRITE on the x axis is a 1 second error and a 30 m fix. I write mine down every time they change. Not that i have ever made that mistake myself 200+ times, just seen others do it. Sweet job making chips.

Robert
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    Remember this step always, do not just push "cal" 0. When you go to the zero set page the highlight is on the X axis, you need to move it over to Z as you figured out. But hitting the 3 simple buttons; CAL--0---WRITE on the x axis is a 1 second error and a 30 m fix. I write mine down every time they change. Not that i have ever made that mistake myself 200+ times, just seen others do it. Sweet job making chips.

Robert
    Yes a little thing like forgetting that step can ruin your whole morning/afternoon...
    Mind you on the older machines like this one, if you screw up like this, before you have time to think "Oh ****!" hit the "Control Off" button real quick and all is not lost!
    I have never bothered to work out how long it takes for the new value to "stick" but hey, this trick has saved my bacon on a few occasions.

Well done to BrianM03 for at least getting going now!

Cheers
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerob View Post
    But hitting the 3 simple buttons; CAL--0---WRITE on the x axis is a 1 second error and a 30 m fix.
    You can do it with only 2 button presses ( "oh" is not needed ), or press the SET instead of CAL

A good habit is to:-
    always read the command line before hitting the WRITE key

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    You can do it with only 2 button presses ( "oh" is not needed ), or press the SET instead of CAL
    That is true, but somehow the "oh" always comes out after, regardless. Just in a different context. IE Oh @#%#.

Robert
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Oh @#%#.
    I'll pay that one :cheers:

Smile

Hi Guys,

Just to jump in and reply to broby comment about powering off quickly.

If you look in either the top left or top right corner of the screen (on older OSP5000/5020 controls) you will see a hex counter starting at AA and finishing at FF I think (if memory serves) that is the backup counter. So if you ever make a parameter change and wish to ensure it is remebered by the control you have to allow the counter to make one full revolution then it is safe to power off.

Just thought that may be of use to some.

Yes that was before Okuma put in the "Backup" button to force write the updated parameter value to permanent memory.
    Still, from memory, you did not have all that long to hit the OFF button before the Zero set took hold, was not the 2~3Mins it takes for a full count cycle of the hex counter mentioned above.

Once upon a time I had a "map" of what particular page it is backing up as the back counter cycles. It does a "page" at a time and is specific pages. Once they added the backup key it became less important,but I'll see if I can find it for the legacy machines. As akl-kiwi says, if you look at where the counter is when you set a parameter and wait until it gets back to the same number, it is safe to power off the machine. Also as broby says, the sooner you power off after an "oops" the more likely your undo will work.

Best regards,