586,440 active members*
4,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Axis on the blink.. direction change issues HELP

Axis on the blink.. direction change issues HELP

Hi Guys,

Built an 8x4 machine before christmas, had a gecko drive g540, replaced it with a more flexible system, PM542 drivers and Uniport V2 breakout board from zapp automation.. but now I have a problem

went to test it..

one axis is doing something odd though...

The motor moves very slightly in the opposite direction when it begins,

so if i tell it to move clockwise, it moves about an 1/8th of a turn anticlockwise before beginning its clockwise movement... could this be a driver problem? a board problem? a wiring problem? (it's wired the same as all the other axis which work fine...?) the step and dir wires and seperated from the motor wires..

Many Thanks

Andrew Bond

My build log is on here and needs updating I might do that now while I wait for the collective wisdom to kick in

I'll post a link

Switch the odd acting motor to another axis and see if the problem follows the motor.

If it does, there is something wrong with the motor or the wiring. If it doesn't follow the motor, then there is a driver related, or software setup related problem.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Tried some trouble shooting and it seems to be a problem with breakout board, possibly shorting on the dir pin as it seems to irratically change direction, but moves fine when the dir signal is not connected..

Strange

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBond View Post
    Tried some trouble shooting and it seems to be a problem with breakout board, possibly shorting on the dir pin as it seems to irratically change direction, but moves fine when the dir signal is not connected..

Strange
    Induced noise on the DIR signal wire can cause false signaling and erratic operation. Also, measure the DIR signal voltage levels to see that they meet the standard TTL levels. I had lost pulses causing me major headaches for months due to this.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com