586,655 active members*
2,326 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > AutoCAD or Aspire?
Page 1 of 2 12

AutoCAD or Aspire?

Is anyone very familiar with both programs? I now have Aspire V.3 (full version, I paid for it) as well as AutoCad 2011 (also purchased). I'm not sure if it was overkill to buy both, but I have them now, and am just learning to use either and to learn CNC machining with a desktop unit.

Does anyone have a strong opinion on which I should concentrate my efforts on learning? Does one do all that the other does and more, or is one more of an industry standard than the other? Or are there strong advantages of one over the other? I dont have any actual jobs in mind, but I want to be able to make parts (hobby type things) with a desktop unit in both 2 and 3D at some point. Is one much easier to learn than the other...?

Any pointers or opinions from someone who is very familiar with both would be appreciated!

Thanks!

If you use AutoCAD to make models or drawings, you still need Aspire or another CAM program to create your g-code. If you're good with AutoCAD, it has far more drawing tools than Aspire, and should be faster. But it can take a long time to learn well, as it has so many features.

Many people use Aspire only, and find they can do everything they need with just Aspire.
    And Aspire is probably easier to learn.

I'd say if you don't know how to use either, stick with Aspire, unless you find that it can't do something you need.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you are going to do mostly hobby/artsy type stuff, I would concentrate on Aspire. If you need close tolerance type stuff use Autocad. Even if you use Autocad you will still need import into Aspire to generate tool paths.

Good Luck
    Mike

After about two months of using VcarvePro (has same 2d CAD features as Aspire) I do not have much use for my CAD program. I have tried a few times lately doing a hobby project in my CAD program but ended up back in VcarvePro.

George

Depends

If you are going to do purely mechanical work, it would pay to get familiar with the basics of AutoCad. I only say that because you already have ACad. I own ACad, CorelDraw and Vectric. I have moved away from ACad because of their high upgrade costs. I can do all my "mechanical" work in Corel, plus a lot of very "artistic" work easily.

Vectric is certainly a "single" solution. It is particularly strong in the CAM portion of the work. (ACad and Corel do not have any CAM capability at all)

Another consideration is support. In my opinion, Vectric offers the best support in the industry.

As a final thought, you should concentrate on learning the software you have. Since you mentioned you are going to do 2D and 3D work, I would suggest that you spend most of your time with Aspire.

Quote Originally Posted by Treischl View Post
    Another consideration is support. In my opinion, Vectric offers the best support in the industry.
    Really, lots of people told me the complete opposite of this and I decided to get ArtCAM Express for £99 which I dont expect support for to be honest but it had lots of tutorials within it (bonus!)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Nuts View Post
    Really, lots of people told me the complete opposite of this and I decided to get ArtCAM Express for £99 which I dont expect support for to be honest but it had lots of tutorials within it (bonus!)
    Where'd you here that, the ArtCAM forum? I'd like to see some posts from people unhappy with Vectric's support. Because I've never seen any.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ger,

They cut the cost to $149 in April from what I can gather: ArtCAM Express - The Small Business Routing & Engraving Solution. They also sell a bunch of modules to increase capabilities.

bob

I was asking where he'd heard that Vectric's support is not good?

I know about ArtCAM Express. They sell all the modules separately, and when you add up the total cost, it's about $3500.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I heard it from previous workmates and friends who had said that it was only supported by the forums and if there was a problem they would rater give a refund rather than help you out!? Dont know how true this is but put me off a little and when I saw Express thought I'd have a go.

I know all the modules add up to an amount but surely you wouldnt need all of them or maybe any of them? I know I'd never use the font thingy for a start

I heard it from previous workmates and friends who had said that it was only supported by the forums and if there was a problem they would rater give a refund rather than help you out!? Dont know how true this is but put me off a little and when I saw Express thought I'd have a go.

I know all the modules add up to an amount but surely you wouldn't need all of them or maybe any of them? I know I'd never use the font thingy for a start
    That has got to be the biggest line of BS I have ever heard. Two things are very obvious. Your workmates know nothing about their support and your "friends", well lets just say "friends" come in many varieties.
    George

Edited to add:

Just did a quick overview of the "Addons" for Artcam express that is listed on their Express page to compare with Aspire. Looks to be over $3000.00 and I am pretty sure other than a Font Creator Aspire can do it all (and maybe more) for $2000.00.

I use VcarvePro so someone using Aspire will have a more accurate comparison.
    I did notice it would cost me over $1500 to do in Express what I can do in VcarvePro for $600.

I didnt need all of the features offered in Insignia which I think is what you are comparing as I think thats what Express comes to if you purchase all the modules. I only needed something cheap and cheerful and everything seems ok and pretty easy to use, gonna try cutting something later :banana:

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    That has got to be the biggest line of BS I have ever heard. Two things are very obvious. Your workmates know nothing about their support and your "friends", well lets just say "friends" come in many varieties.
    George

Edited to add:

Just did a quick overview of the "Addons" for Artcam express that is listed on their Express page to compare with Aspire. Looks to be over $3000.00 and I am pretty sure other than a Font Creator Aspire can do it all (and maybe more) for $2000.00.

I use VcarvePro so someone using Aspire will have a more accurate comparison.
    I did notice it would cost me over $1500 to do in Express what I can do in VcarvePro for $600.

Concentrating on both, simultaneously would be best. The more complex your drawings become in AutoCAD, the better you become developing the CAM in Aspire. Getting more proficient in either, will push you to excel in the other. You have a great combo. Learn and use them that way. Though I have not yet scrounged up the cash for Aspire, it is on my list of software to get. I use AutoCAD, VCarve Pro, and Cut3D. My vote also goes to Vetric for excellent products and service.

Wow, talk about hearsay!

You don't know how true something is, but you go ahead and post it on a forum anyhow? Interesting.

Now THIS is from the horse's mouth, not the other end.

When, I, personally had a bit of difficulty a few years ago. I posted the problem on the forum. The good folks at Vectric recognized that it was a problem that would not and could not be solved by the community and immediately began working with me directly to solve it. I was very impressed with their service and support. They never offered to just give me my money back. Do you really think they are in business to give money back?

Let me tell you something about people who buy software. Some of them ASSUME it will do something that it does not do, they do not bother to READ the specs, look at the demos or do their due diligence. Then they think they are entitled to DEMAND that the developer put in those features they THOUGHT were included, or make it work they way they think it should. Those are the folks who get their money back. Which I find to be incredibly honorable on the part of software companies who follow that practice. But then the drivel heads have the audacity to bad mouth the company for their own stupidity.

In other words, before you post hearsay on a forum, you should think about it very carefully. It is a dirty tactic, nameless, faceless people make accusations and others repeat them. It stinks. Friends, former coworkers, someone I met, rumor has it, blah, blah, blah.

Wow, talk about hearsay!

You don't know how true something is, but you go ahead and post it on a forum anyhow? Interesting.

When, I, personally had a bit of difficulty a few years ago. I posted the problem on the forum. The good folks at Vectric recognized that it was a problem that would not and could not be solved by the community and immediately began working with me directly to solve it. I was very impressed with their service and support. They never offered to just give me my money back. Do you really think they are in business to give money back?

Let me tell you something about people who buy software. Some of them ASSUME it will do something that it does not do, they do not bother to READ the specs, look at the demos or do their due diligence. Then they think they are entitled to DEMAND that the developer put in those features they THOUGHT were included, or make it work they way they think it should. Those are the folks who get their money back. Which I find to be incredibly honorable on the part of software companies who follow that practice. But then the drivel heads have the audacity to bad mouth the company for their own stupidity.

In other words, before you post hearsay on a forum, you should think about it very carefully. It is a dirty tactic, nameless, faceless people make accusations and others repeat them. It stinks. Friends, former coworkers, someone I met, rumor has it, blah, blah, blah.
    thanks for the brow beating

Originally Posted by Treischl
    Wow, talk about hearsay!

Monkey_Nuts replied:
    thanks for the brow beating
    Not a "brow beating" at all. You just experienced what happens when you repeat "hearsay", and why most people don't do it.

I also took a look at ArtCam's support at

Support & Training

If you scroll down, you will discover that they will happily charge you $30 US for 15 minutes of telephone support or £1.02 per minute in the U.K.

I also noted that they use a DONGLE to protect their software. How primitive. It is also a huge pain when an employee decides to walk off with one of them.

When I talked to the folks at Vectric, no one asked me for a credit card or a dongle number. Simple as that.

Not a "brow beating" at all. You just experienced what happens when you repeat "hearsay", and why most people don't do it.
    Ok fair enough. I didnt mean it as an attack though when I posted that, I was merely curious as to why I'd been told that and wanted to know what people here thought

anyway, sorry to the OP for going completely off topic

I know all the modules add up to an amount but surely you wouldnt need all of them or maybe any of them? I know I'd never use the font thingy for a start
    knowing all of the vectric staff personally, being a active member of both the support and beta forums, and personally offering to help or find those who can,

then i would say the quoted statement was posted by someone who is simply bored!!

jim mcgrew
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Quote Originally Posted by MychesterCNC View Post
    Does anyone have a strong opinion on which I should concentrate my efforts on learning? Does one do all that the other does and more, or is one more of an industry standard than the other? Or are there strong advantages of one over the other? I dont have any actual jobs in mind, but I want to be able to make parts (hobby type things) with a desktop unit in both 2 and 3D at some point. Is one much easier to learn than the other...?

Any pointers or opinions from someone who is very familiar with both would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Hello,
    Getting back to the original question, I am familiar with both and since I began using the Vectric software I don't find it necessary to use my AutoCAD very often. I have become so spoiled to the many tools they have added and continually try to improve on that I rarely find situations where I need a full blown CAD system to make the parts I currently work with. I feel that you might do well to get comfortable with Aspire and then you can use the AutoCAD when the situation demands it. As was mentioned you will need to use Aspire for the toolpaths to make your parts anyway so why not learn how to do it all there first?
    You can spend any spare time learning to become proficient with AutoCAD and will always have that for things like dimensioning and printing of drawings that can not be so easily done in Aspire.
    Regards,
    Wes

Page 1 of 2 12