586,117 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New Member - Hello everyone!

Hey everyone,

I am a Clemson (SC) student, 22 years old, and am really considering purchasing/building my own CNC router to start up my own small business.

I've been researching for the past few weeks on what I really need to get started. I have a fairly small budget, but am willing to work hard to build what I need.

My idea is to primarily use wood (maybe metals eventually) and design college related nick-nacs to sell at local shops. I have a background in old cars, woodworking, and have operated a local CNC machine.

So, if you only had around 3-4k to start up a small shop, what would you recommend to invest in?

Of course I want the most area for the mony...but, am I insane to think I could acquire a 5 axis setup??

Welcome ClemsonGirl,
    These guys are great and can help you out with just about anything.

Again, Welcome to one of the most addictive hobbies around.....LOL

Hawkeye

ClemsonGirl,
    You have the right approach. You have a product and want to have the CNC to help you produce the product.

First you need to define the parameters of your needs.

What is the maximum size of your parts?
    How complicated are they?
    Wood and/or metal might not be compatible with the same machine. You can do wood and aluminum, but not wood and steel. (very well at least.)

Did you look at these machines? http://www.k2cnc.com/KT-2514_detail.asp

They got mixed reviews at first, but seem to be getting better.

Since you want to make a product and are a student, I would recommend you stay away from the do-it-yourself CNC approach. This approach eats up hours of time and could take months to get you to being able to make a viable product. Focus on what your business needs are.

I doubt if you can get a 5 axis machine for you budget numbers. If those are truly your numbers, I assume that they are for the entire shop or are they just for the CNC?

You'll need sanding, painting equipment. Plus a saw or two. It all adds up fast. Router bits, computer, CAD/CAM software, etc,etc.

I'd budget roughly $1500 for misc and the rest for CNC router.

Good luck
    Trent

Hmmm.....welcome....what sort of college related knick-knacs....certainly not bong pipes....

i think bong pipes would be a bit difficult to do....espically since most are glass. I would like to do table-tops, valve covers, wood signs, etc.

how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-Router-Engra...QQcmdZViewItem

did a few searches...no results, which prolly means its no good

ClemsonGirl...that would be my take...looks like it's made of delrin or some white plastic.

Signs you'll be able to do, table tops (like engraving, marquerty stuff?) doable, valve covers like for automobile engines? While the valve covers are doable...there is alot of material to remove...which is the reason most are cast.

Look at the K2 stuff, also read the local forum on the problems encountered with the K2 machines. Even with the problems...I don't think you can do much better for the price....you just have to be willing/able to address the problems.

Figure out what size of cutting volume you'll need.

5 axis for under $5K......that's a challenge...

Thanks a bunch Viper!

This unit seems to do everything I need, and is low cost...what’s the catch??

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Servo-Taig-c...QQcmdZViewItem

The valve covers will be engraved with the CNC, not actually produce covers.

Also, I enjoy painting and wanted to begin producing my own figurines. There is just so much you can do with these wonderful machines!! I don’t understand why every kitchen is not without one!

I am starting to read up on the K2 stuff, but what do you think of the eBay auction I found??

TIA!

Hi CG, don't forget to consider software in your budget too. For decent sign or CAM software you are probably looking at $1000, obvioulsy depending on the complexity you need. Just don't make a common mistake and blow all of your cash on the router and using sub-standard software will you cost you in the long run.

Welcome aboard anyhow
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonGirl
    This unit seems to do everything I need, and is low cost...what’s the catch??

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Servo-Taig-c...QQcmdZViewItem

I am starting to read up on the K2 stuff, but what do you think of the eBay auction I found??

TIA!
    I have bought from that guy before, can't remember what it was but doublechecked my feedback and I didn't have any problems.

That mill seems pretty nice to me. It's mainly for metalworking. The RPM's (10000 MAX) are slow for router bits.

Again, you'll need a computer, cables, and MACH 2 to run this machine. Figure $200 for a used computer, $20 for a parallel cable, and $150 for Mach 2.

The biggest problem with a machine like this is the size 12" x 5.5" isn't much travel. It all depends upon your needs.

If you are doing rotary axis work (figurines), you'll need some fairly sophisticated CAD/CAM software.

If you think that the Taig will allow you to cut the parts you want to do, then I would buy from the manufacturer: taigtools.com

It's a good unit, read the info on the manufacturer's web site. Look at the x, y and z axis and the weight of the unit.

I bought one from this guy for well under $2K but did have to tweak the Xylotek controler myself by adjusting the vref and adding a cooling fan to the case. It has good strong automation direct 276 oz/in steppers and a 4 axis controller with a extra stepper to add a rotary table at a later date. Be selective on your bid and with a bit of sniping I suspect you could save enough to buy that rotatry table + get the stepper adapters from JFettig machines. You might even have enough left over for some tooling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taig-cnc-mill-mi...QQcmdZViewItem

What are you studying CG? Is it something to do with this field or is this purely a side line for you?
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am studying packaging science (engineering)...this is purely a part time job.

I have spent the last few years building figurines, painting them, and selling off ebay (paid almost 80% of my tuition). Now im ready to really start producing stuff.

Software will be free for me (since im a student), and i have plenty of tools and a spare p4 computer. So, my money is going to a stage, motors, and a router.

I am looking for the following:

x&Y: ~15"+
    z: 6+"
    would like an additional axis so my life is easier. (im guessing a spindle)

and..ohh...a lathe would be hot as well...boy i could make college chess sets!

the brain is just churning with ideas

ClemsonGirl....well the X and Y axis requirements throw out the Taig. Look at the K2 stuff, can you handle having to fine-tuning how things are mounted?

Viper,

well i *want* the larger, but i just don’t know what I *should* be purchasing...you never know what the next idea might be, and would hate to be limited. The Taig is cheap and will do the min of what I want...with historical quality...but it will not be able to handle larger projects.

I really know nothing about the fine tuning. I rebuilt and drive a 65 mustang, and have to fiddle with the carb everyday so it runs without backfiring...so that is my experience with "fine-tuning"...hence im not that great at it...but im willing to learn. Is the process difficult? I'm great at trial and error - will these systems allow for that, or will it bust something?

As for the mounting, do you mean the servos and router? Though I have never assembled or even touched/seen a servo motor in my life...aren’t they just plug-and-play on these K2 units?

Lastly, am I getting way over my head? I know my figurine business and knick-knacks will flourish when I dump 1000x more onto the market than I do now, but how long does it take to set one of these up, learn the software (I have basic CAD training (made an A in the class), I can make a cube on solid works , and that’s about it!!). I am able to use illustrator and Photoshop slightly better - but the "CAM"(??) software...well, no clue!

Id hate to devote more time to tennis...it doesn’t make any money

ClemsonGirl,

What do you make your figurines out of now? Wood? If so, and if you want to get production up in a hurry you might consider a pantagraph (duplicator).

How are you making them now?

Another option, assuming you are a "Girl", you probably would qualify for a small grant to help you establish your business. Please don't take my reference to you being a girl as anything except "not knowing"

If you are sure you want to get into cnc carving of the figurines I would suggest you build a machine dedicated to that, with a 4th axis and then pay someone to make your model and do the gcode from it. I am currently doing that and it has been wonderful for me.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

ClemsonGirl,

Can you post a picky of your figurines for us to see what you are wanting to do?

Dave
    Dave Drain

well...i sure hope there's no assumption....here is my webshots site, http://community.webshots.com/user/makeoutmarey

(its college fun time, so don’t blame me if you disapprove - but gives you a slightly blurry, somewhat intoxicated image of who your talkin' with!)

If you have any information on a grant, please let me know!! I'm still a dependant, so I doubt I would even qualify.

Anyway, here is my latest project:

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/uploa...19/bhouse1.jpg

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/uploa...19/bhouse2.jpg

(I am not able to link my pictures from Clemson - so i uploaded them here)

I constructed these houses, made a mold in lab, and used cheap resin from the lab to procure these (just old LDPE). After it dries, I reheat, cool the freezer, and then paint it up (lovely blue roof...but it’s what the guys wanted). After that, I just keep making them; once I max out my sales on campus, I just start throwing them on ebay until I sales drop. My problem: takes a long time to make that first design - the CNC should be able to pop these out in no time, and make lots of variations!)

Anyway, this is basically what I do. Houses, people, terrain boards (for a popular game played on campus, called Warhammer). I can usually sell the houses for 30-40 dollars a pop to individuals, and 20-25 to local shops who then resell for 70-80. I will browse around for pictures of figurines...but are usually made with wood, then molded, and filled with pewter.

The CNC MUST be able to do decent detail work in pewter, wood, and thick (not dense) polymers.

TIA

Man I wish I was back in college. Those were the fun days!!

With all that partying, will you ever have time to build a CNC? lol

I like your work CG those little houses must take a great deal of time.

Dave
    Dave Drain

Page 1 of 2 12