586,510 active members*
2,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > head stock bearing alignment for a new custom buld cnc lathe

head stock bearing alignment for a new custom buld cnc lathe

hello guys,
    I have a home made cnc lathe that is giving me poor surface finish since i built it. I have moved to lm guides from lm bushing and made a lot of changes to it already but still the surface finish is not as good as expected. The one thing that i have not tried changing is its head stock that may have misaligned taper bearings in it. I have changed the bearings with new skf but still the issue persists.

The head stock is a "U" shaped thing with bearings on the left and right. yes It is made from casting and is rigid enough. I would like to know that could it be the "no support zone" between the bearings effecting the surface finish or the misalignment of the bearings? I have got it from a used lathe so i don't know how good it was bored.

I am planning for a rebuild of the head stock any tips on keeping the both bearing bores true can save me from having the same problems in the new one too.
    unfortunately, i have no other headstock to test my lathe and to make sure if it is a headstock's issue or not. But it is the one thing i have not try changing.

jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

cnc lathe head stock

Quote Originally Posted by jasminder View Post
    hello guys,
    I have a home made cnc lathe that is giving me poor surface finish since i built it. I have moved to lm guides from lm bushing and made a lot of changes to it already but still the surface finish is not as good as expected. The one thing that i have not tried changing is its head stock that may have misaligned taper bearings in it. I have changed the bearings with new skf but still the issue persists.

The head stock is a "U" shaped thing with bearings on the left and right. yes It is made from casting and is rigid enough. I would like to know that could it be the "no support zone" between the bearings effecting the surface finish or the misalignment of the bearings? I have got it from a used lathe so i don't know how good it was bored.

I am planning for a rebuild of the head stock any tips on keeping the both bearing bores true can save me from having the same problems in the new one too.
    unfortunately, i have no other headstock to test my lathe and to make sure if it is a headstock's issue or not. But it is the one thing i have not try changing.

jasminder singh

one more thing i would like to add is that the front bearing of the headstock was very tight when i was trying to replace it. But when checked with a dial indicator the chuck gives no deflection.

jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.