586,094 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Running Plasmacam on a newer PC

Running Plasmacam on a newer PC

OK guys I am lookng to probably update the PC that is running my PlasmaCam DHCII. I have heard rumor that the plasmacam software does not play well with Newer windows versions, Is this true? I am really needing to start creating new parts in corel draw or similar software (solidworks or BendTech SM) but would prefer to have both softwares on one pc. My current PCam computer has windows 98 and the drivers for things like thumb drives and what not are not wanting to play nice together? thoughts suggestions?

One more quick question is there much a a cut quality improvement to be had if I were to switch to a machine torch from the current hand torch?

Please replace it with ordinry PC and work with EMC2.

Quote Originally Posted by rbmedic75 View Post
    OK guys I am lookng to probably update the PC that is running my PlasmaCam DHCII. I have heard rumor that the plasmacam software does not play well with Newer windows versions, Is this true? I am really needing to start creating new parts in corel draw or similar software (solidworks or BendTech SM) but would prefer to have both softwares on one pc. My current PCam computer has windows 98 and the drivers for things like thumb drives and what not are not wanting to play nice together? thoughts suggestions?

One more quick question is there much a a cut quality improvement to be had if I were to switch to a machine torch from the current hand torch?
    I'm running Plasmacam 3.11 software on windows 7 pro 64 bit and, have no problems at all.
    I'm also running Design Edge on the same computer.
    Regards machine torch; I guess it depends on what cutter you're running.
    If it was a Hypertherm unit, 1000, 1250 or 1650, I'd recommend upgrading to a new retrofit Duramax machine torch, combined with a Snap 'n Cut magnetic breakaway mount.
    The beauty of the Snap 'n Cut system is, the torch remains square to the material at all times and, is also protected against breakage in case of a high speed tip up collision.
    If you're running a new Hypertherm 65 or 85, it's possible to run a machine torch with a dedicated control cable which, does away with having to splice wires internally as has to happen with the hand torch and, also allows rapid torch changeover from machine to hand cutting.

Attached is the result you can expect....some 12mm plate I cut yesterday, Powermax 85 with 65amp consumables.

Mick.
    Home Page
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12mm-cutting.jpg   12mm-cutting-2.jpg  

Thanks for the replies guys, sometimes it take me a while to get a minute or 2 to get back on here. Very glad to hear I can upgrade to a newer PC with hopefully no problems. I run the Hypermax 1000 and am definatley keeping an eye out for one of the new machine torches.