586,698 active members*
3,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vertical Mill?

All,

I want a bigger mill. Unfortunately, I can't have a bigger shop than I have now. Are the challenges of building a vertical bed CNC too much to overcome for the DIY'er?

I would believe it can be done IF you have access to the equipment required to produce the components.

Have you determined the size/capacity you'll build to? What do you want the machine to produce?

Lots of questions before you decide if it's something you can take on.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Having already completed one working CNC router, I'm comfortable with the requirements for the next one. Just looking for thoughts from anyone who may have attempted the fight against gravity before me.

In general terms, I'd like it to handle 4' X 8' sheet goods. Wouldn't have to be completely vertical. In fact, having it on a slight angle would make setup and material handling easier, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Utley View Post
    Having already completed one working CNC router, I'm comfortable with the requirements for the next one. Just looking for thoughts from anyone who may have attempted the fight against gravity before me.

In general terms, I'd like it to handle 4' X 8' sheet goods. Wouldn't have to be completely vertical. In fact, having it on a slight angle would make setup and material handling easier, I believe.
    For sheet goods, what advantages do you see over a standard horizontal layout?

Sorry, I'm a little confused. When you referred to a "mill" I thought milling machine rather than router.

In my world, Horizontal or vertical refers to spindle orientation.

As far as angled orientation of the workpiece, you might give the panel saws at your local big box a look/see for some ideas.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Richard, I appreciate the confusion--I should have been more specific. I have both a woodworking and machining background before becoming an engineer, so I tend to interchange router and mill when perhaps I shouldn't.

By "vertical" I mean only that the bed of the proposed CNC router is oriented vertically with a horizontal spindle. The X-axis still runs parallel to the ground and the Y-axis runs vertically. Think of something more like a vertical panel saw.

The obvious (and perhaps only) advantage to such a design would be floorspace. I'm guessing it would take up only about 1/3 the square footage of an equivalent capacity traditional horizontal bed machine.

The disadvantages are, perhaps, a bridge too far. The Y-axis drive mechanism now how has to support the mass of both Y and Z when accelerating/decelerating. I'm guessing there may be a stiff penalty to pay, either in cost for the Y-axis drive/power supply or in performance if the costs aren't paid up front.

Hopefully this clarifies what I'm considering. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Utley View Post
    Richard, I appreciate the confusion--I should have been more specific. I have both a woodworking and machining background before becoming an engineer, so I tend to interchange router and mill when perhaps I shouldn't.

By "vertical" I mean only that the bed of the proposed CNC router is oriented vertically with a horizontal spindle. The X-axis still runs parallel to the ground and the Y-axis runs vertically. Think of something more like a vertical panel saw.

The obvious (and perhaps only) advantage to such a design would be floorspace. I'm guessing it would take up only about 1/3 the square footage of an equivalent capacity traditional horizontal bed machine.

The disadvantages are, perhaps, a bridge too far. The Y-axis drive mechanism now how has to support the mass of both Y and Z when accelerating/decelerating. I'm guessing there may be a stiff penalty to pay, either in cost for the Y-axis drive/power supply or in performance if the costs aren't paid up front.

Hopefully this clarifies what I'm considering. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom
    Also consider the effects of gravity on the sheet materials. Depending upon geometry, they may/will want to pull away from your "bed", which will complicate your hold down strategy and may limit what types of work you can and can't do with the finished machine. Not a road block, but merely something to consider.

The vertical workpiece/horizontal spindle does have the advantage of easier chip evacuation/removal. That's why I prefer HMC's & HBM's.

The first machine shop apparatus I operated was a horizontal milling machine. That probably explains my prejudice.LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR