Hi All,

I have been lurking for a couple months now and as this is my first post I will start with a little background ... I run a small business servicing the drag racing community here in Australia. I supply and install data loggers on some of the leading cars in the country along with providing consultancy and tuning services.

I want to expand my business and start making brackets for the sensors and loggers rather than leaving it to the customers along with some development work on various racing components.

I started looking at some of the hobby mills (syil etc) but have ended up settling on a Haas VF-2, which in time will allow me to perform some cylinder head work in addition to the primary work. Specs as follows:

20 Station Automatic Umbrella Type ATC, 1 MB Memory, 15” Colour LCD Screen, USB Port, Memory Lock Key switch, Rigid Tapping, 55-Gallon Flood Coolant System, 10,000 rpm Spindle, Auto Chip Auger, Programmable Coolant Nozzle, Wireless (Renishaw) Intuitive Work & Tool Probing System and Power Failure Detection Module

I have a degree of machining skills (lathe, mill, sheet metal work, chassis manufacture) developed through an apprenticeship and hands on work, coupled with my trade as an electronic technician with a broad range of programming skills I feel the step into the CNC world won't be too big ... although I'm not arrogant enough to think it will be easy.

What I want to ensure is that I minimise the amount of mistakes along the way (although I'm sure there will be a few) so I would appreciate any advice on the following.

1. OneCNC for the CAD/CAM package (25% off at the upcoming trade show).

2. BT40 vs CAT40 ... the Haas agent recommends BT40, seems more the standard in Australia but from what I have seen online it limits some tooling suppliers (with the internet making the world so small I wonder if CAT40 is the way to go if I plan on ordering my tooling online).

3. Is the high speed machining worth it now or do I wait until I am doing more complex parts.

4. Is the Intuitive programming worth it if I am primarily programming from a CAD / CAM package (its $2k which can be put towards the software).

Thanks in advance .... Paul