586,392 active members*
2,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > which CAM do you guys prefer
Page 1 of 2 12

which CAM do you guys prefer

I haven't used CAM yet, but what do you guys prefer to use with Milltronics. Is there any that have better post processors, for less error? Right now i have the option of edgeCAM and MasterCAM, but can probably get others. Its for a 4 axis RH33.

I prefer GibbsCAM myself, but any cam system should do what you need.
    As far as the post processor goes, if they are not right, your supplier should be able to correct it. Personally, I do my own so I don't have to rely on a supplier. This way I get what I want and never have to modify the code going to the machine.

I use Mastercam. I have played with others but I always come back to Mastercam.

I use Dolphin CAD CAM and occasionally Surfcam. If you have the budget for something like Edgecam, it would prob be a good choice.

FWIW, did a survey on the relative popularity of different CAM systems. Results are here:

The Results are in on the CAM Package Survey « CNCCookbook

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Bob,
    Nice survey. How many responded to the survey? The percentages don’t surprise me though.

As a Surfcam and Milltronics user for over 15 years I can recommend the two together with some reservations about Surfcam. It’s old and dated with the worst interface of all the CAM programs but does make pretty good code. I can only recommend it because I’ve grown used to it over the years. I can’t recommend their latest version (5.1) however, too many bugs. I wouldn’t worry about getting a post from whatever program you choose. My only problem was modifying the post for hard taping, took a few tries to get it right and it’s been so long now I can’t remember what I did. I’ve heard that some programs require new post with each program upgrade, not with Surfcam.

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    Bob,
    Nice survey. How many responded to the survey? The percentages don’t surprise me though.
    Hundreds. I get a lot of visitors to the site and this seemed to be a topic of interest.

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I have a partner 5 cent 4 knee mill . I was given fast cam Jr when I bought it . Any how , do any of these cam programs we have today have a post for the cent 4 ? or am I SOL ?

thanks much

Steve

GibbsCAM has posts for the Centurion control.

GibbsCAM. I have an Advanced Mill "C" style Centurian post modified for our machines. We have a VM16, VM22, and VM22 5 axis, all with the Cent7/8200 controller.

If it has the post for cent 4 and I can use my a-cad files I'm game . About how much am I looking at for it ? just trying to get a feel for the $ . I'll be getting a cnc lathe soon and would put the cam on the cost figures .

thanks much

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
    If it has the post for cent 4 and I can use my a-cad files I'm game . About how much am I looking at for it ? just trying to get a feel for the $ . I'll be getting a cnc lathe soon and would put the cam on the cost figures .

thanks much

Steve
    Gibbs opens dxf & dwg files with no problems, so your acad files are good to go. When you buy a seat you specify what machine & controller you need the post for. Additionally, a free version of Posthaste is integrated with Gibbs and you can create your own posts. There are a couple Centurion templates supplied with it.

Give the people over at GibbsCAM a call for an accurate cost, they won't hound you like Bobcad does. I have several options on my mill package and I it bought it 11 years ago.

thank you cadman :cheers:

Steve

I certainly would talk to the Gibbs dealer first about the post for the Centurion 4. Even my 15 year old Surfcam didn’t support that one if I remember right. Any program that has a Centurion 5 post will work for the Centurion 6 & 7 also, but not the 4. Get them to write a working post for the Cent. 4 before you agree to any deal. Prices will be about 4K to 6K for 2 axis and 10K to 16K for 3 axis for most CAM packages today.

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Give the people over at GibbsCAM a call for an accurate cost, they won't hound you like Bobcad does. I have several options on my mill package and I it bought it 11 years ago.

No kidding, how many calls a year do you get from those guys!?!

Quote Originally Posted by awjareme View Post
    No kidding, how many calls a year do you get from those guys!?!
    Fortunately I've never dealt with Bobcad at all, I just read the horror stories from those that do. They seem to be like herpes or luggage, you can't get rid of them

Ihbuilder,
    Please note that the Cent 4 control is not like the Cent 5, 6, or 7 controls. These controls used diferent code and language. If you are looking for a post, please make sure to specify Cent 4.

To all, most Cad/Cam softwares work well with the Milltronics control. I have used several with success from each, it really is a personal preference and cost. The code on the Cent 5 and newer control is Fanuc based so getting a post to work is usually a breeze. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jpawelk View Post
    Ihbuilder,
    Please note that the Cent 4 control is not like the Cent 5, 6, or 7 controls. These controls used diferent code and language. If you are looking for a post, please make sure to specify Cent 4.

To all, most Cad/Cam softwares work well with the Milltronics control. I have used several with success from each, it really is a personal preference and cost. The code on the Cent 5 and newer control is Fanuc based so getting a post to work is usually a breeze. Good luck!

this may sound dumb but if these cad/cam co's do not offer a post or can not write 1 for the cent 4 . Is there a way to do it or are there some good puter wizes that can ? I still have to call a bunch of places I talked to mastercam but was quoted 10-15 k but I wanted it for 4 axis and lathe . Now since talking to milltronics , the 4th axis with this control , I will not pursue do to getting the parts needed do to the age of the control .

Steve

Modifying posts in most CAM systems is not that difficult. Once you decide on a system search the internet for centurion 4 posts and I bet you’ll find someone who has one. Weather it fits your needs (such as 4th axis) is another story.

If the iron is good, then consider upgrading the electronics. You’ll be better off in the long run. The newer controls along with newer servos will give higher feed rates and better finishes. If the work load is there it may be cheaper to just get a newer machine. Anything newer than 1999 will be 1000% better than that Cent. 4 in productivity. The market is flooded with used machines right now, so you should be able to get a real bargain.

CAMSOFT has a post for the Centurion IV in their AS3000 CAD/CAM package. They are currently selling discounted software packages on EBAY for under $1000.00. I'm not crazy
    about their CAD/CAM but it's reasonably priced (especially right now on EBay) and they offer the post.

Page 1 of 2 12