586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Need some help with controllers

Need some help with controllers

Hey, i recently purchased a shop droid cnc gantry setup and im now having issues with how to make it move. I chose the motor and controller setup i found on ebay. Just had a few questions on which setup and what the difference was really.

Nema 23 Stepper Motor 287oz-in & 3 Axis Board CNC Kit - eBay (item 130500888053 end time May-22-11 02:29:18 PDT)
    I was told that setup would get me up and running and i wouldn't need anything other than wire some fuses and a computer to get my machine up and running, but then i found this and was curious what these extra boards are for and if i really need them:
    3 axis Nema23 stepper motor 287oz-in CNC controller kit - eBay (item 130513611138 end time May-26-11 20:21:43 PDT)

The machine will be setup to make flanges and molds for carbon fiber work and other misc little tasks. I know ill need a 4 axis setup those links are just for reference.

Thanks!

The first set has the parallel port breakout board built in to the 3-axis driver board.

The second set has a separate parallel port breakout board, and a separate driver for each axis.

There are pros and cons for each approach, and the individual components may also have their own pros and cons.

The first would require less wiring on your part ,and in your case being new to this, it would be a better option less mistakes to be made and less chance of noise in your system. Hope this helps somewhat with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    The first would require less wiring on your part ,and in your case being new to this, it would be a better option less mistakes to be made and less chance of noise in your system. Hope this helps somewhat with your choice.
    Thanks guys. I'll be ordered my motors this week and when the last of the rails arrive ill post pictures of the completed setup.:rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll be ordered my motors this week and when the last of the rails arrive ill post pictures of the completed setup.:rainfro: