586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Need help finding the right injection machine

Need help finding the right injection machine

Hello fellow enthusiast!

I'm on the hunt for an injection molding machine, but I'm not sure what machine would be best suited for the task at hand.

My ultimate goal is producing cart-shells for classic video games at home. I currently produce games for consoles such as the NES and Sega Genesis, and I've been forced to use preexisting parts (sacrificing an existing game to make a new title). This is both time consuming and bush league. I have garage that's begging for an injection mold machine and the time has come to buy one. An example of what I'm looking for can be found on this site here:

NES Dev Tools - RetroZone

The shells are something like $4 apiece before the cost of shipping. At that price I'd rather produce them in-house.

So, what machine should I be on the look out for? The shot size would need to be around 1oz I would imagine, and the mold size would likely need to be 5"x5" or so. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    - Matt

If you need high quality machine you shall think about USA or Japan, if you need normal quality but cheap one, think about China. Regarding to China machine, there will be no any problem in first three years, after that, you need to do some maintance, may not that well, but still acceptable. Personal experience, for reference.

China injection machine link:

Products- haitian.com - global leader in injection molding machines
    The Chen Hsong Group - Home
    Elite Industrial Holdings Ltd.

Anyway, maybe it is not good to operate only one or two injection molding machines in house, troublesome, maybe finally it cost more than outsoursing.
    Plastic injection mold manufacture. www.argomold.com

Specializes in manufacture mould components, including Plastic injection mold parts, Stamping mold parts,Mechanical parts, Hardware machining ,and so on...Let us come to know If you have any new inquiry for those components. email:[email protected]

Matt,

1 oz is about 28 grams. You're going to want to use 75% of the injection unit capacity, which equals to about 50 gram shot size. Anything with a 50 gram shot size would be sufficient.

To find tonnage needed, we use this formula;

1. Find projected area in sq inches
    2. Find tonnage requirements for the resin
    3. Number of cavities the mold is (yours is probably a single cav)

Multiply lines 1 and 2, then multiply that sum by line 3, and you'll have the tonnage that you should look for in a machine. I figure you'd be looking at a 30-40 ton machine.

Look into a used machine, as new are a big investment, unless you'd think your sales are enough to be able to afford a new machine.

This should help.

Mitchell

Our company undertakes metal stamping,plastics,die-cast,automobile and other precision molds.Adopting the computer aided design and the unique mold manufacturing technology,we utilize advanced equipment to shorten the delivery time,improve performance and help our customers reduce the cost in product development.