586,036 active members*
4,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Does anyone have a utility for this?

Does anyone have a utility for this?

Just took over an old machine crammed full of programs with no documentation on what they are. I might need to look at them in the future but 90% of them I'll never look at. I have just downloaded and saved over 450 programs from the HD-Dir and the onboard RAM. So, I have an archive of files with just "O" numbers, w/no extension.

Our cam system usually puts a drawing file number in the first line or two of comments. So, I was thinking there might be a utility that would go through the folder and read the first line or two of each file and print all of them to a text file that would be searchable.

Anyone know of anything like that?

Thanks.

utility

Just talked to a programmer who is going to take a shot at writing a program to do it. Anyone else need this if it works?

Quote Originally Posted by BFHammer View Post
    Just talked to a programmer who is going to take a shot at writing a program to do it. Anyone else need this if it works?
    have you found something ?

if the text string for the program number in the files has a common start element. example: dwg##### drw#### pro#### then you can just use a simple DOS find command and dump to a text file. Basic batch file. I know DOS old school, well it still works. Sorry now a days it is called Command line windows, which actually is not dos.

Our PC-DNC Plus software has a feature like this. You select a directory, and then click "Show file details". A listview control pops up that shows the file name, the creation date, the 1st, 2nd. and 3rd comment in the file, and some other details like file creation date, etc. You can then sort any of these columns to find the comment you want. There's currently no way to export this list to a file, but that could be done without too much effort.

If you download a free demo copy of PC-DNC Plus from our website at Suburban Machinery / Software Division Home Page, you can see how it works. If it does the job for you, I can separate that one feature from the PC-DNC Plus code and send it to you as a stand-alone application. Once the software is installed, put your files into the demo file directory called "C:\Tapes", then click "IO Windows" and then "Show file details". Don't use the "Show Mazatrol file details" because that displays things like Mazatrol file work numbers, etc.