586,106 active members*
2,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Rail Covers or Just Going NAKED!

DIY Rail Covers or Just Going NAKED!

Since bellows-type rail coverings are expensive, take up precious end travel, and since I have not found much on diy rail covers, I came up with some ideas. I am concerned that aluminum swarf and dust will foul the rails even with end seals on the bearing blocks. I am building a cnc router to mill aluminum.

Suggested Topics of Discussion:
    1. Inexpensive ways to protect rails
    2. If going naked, how well is it working for you?

For some rails you might be able to make the accordian style bellows out of thin plastic sheet yourself. See the attached pdf “bellows pattern” and iXen-CNC to make them yourself. Basically, you print it on paper, stick it to sheet plastic and fold like mad.

For other rails you might just use bearing blocks with protective seals on the bearing blocks themselves. Or, you can make them with silcone RTV by oiling the rail, cleaning the block and applying RTV at the place where they meet. When the RTV cures, move the block. It should not stick to the rail.

Since my rails are long and I do not expect them to be exposed to much cutting fluid, I tentatively planning on using wire guides with a nylon “tent” material draped over it. I do have bearing block seals from the manufacturer, but I am still concerned about aluminum dust fouling them. There is another thread on this web site that came up with a “slinky” covered with Lycra material (Spandex) for convering the ballscrews. (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ows_style.html) I think nylon, possibly sprayed with scotch guard, will serve me better for my rail cover design. The material will not be stretched tight over the rail wire guides as is on the “slinky” and nylon should fold up much more than the thicker lycra.

My idea is to tension spring-back stainless steel wire (approx .063 inch dia. and drape a nylon material over the top. On the bottom, it will be held with a hem loop in the material. The ends will be held with velcro sewn to the material and cemented to the machine ends. The two hem loop wires are positioned aginst the smooth machine frame. They can be shimmed away to adjust any room necessary for the material to slide. The material will have a double channel hem running up both edges. The inner hem will pass the guide wire. The outer hem will rub against the machine frame to from a seal. So far, the wire runs up one end and loops thru the other end. I’ll have two loops. Due to space constraints, the only way I think I can tension the wires is by levering vice grips on the wire end, locking it in place with a set screw. The wire is spring back type and so it should not take any kinks even if I accidentally lean on it. The material will be a little loose so as not to pull on the wire against the frame. (See pictures.)

Any other ideas or thoughts? (My Super X3 mill is due to arrive today, so it will be some time before I get to build and test this out!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BLOCK VIEW.jpg   FRONT.JPG   Nylon Tent.JPG   REAR.JPG  

UNDERVIEW.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files