586,032 active members*
2,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drip Feeding to a Fanuc 6m

We have this old clunker….Its a Hitachi Seiki VA-40 equipped with a Fanuc 6m control. We purchased a premade cable and hooked the machine up to a pc. While we have no problems transferring programs back and forth between the pc and machine, we can’t seem to get the machine to dnc properly. Seems like the control only reads a portion of the program and then stops.

Now, I have asked some other people what they thought and it seems like we have been getting mixed results. Some say that control can’t DNC, some say it can if we change a parameter, some say it will only DNC if we purchase a btr board. I would have no problem purchasing a btr board, I just want to make sure that is the only option before we spend $$$$ on this machine.

Anybody have any experience with this issue on this control or have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TR MFG
    We have this old clunker….Its a Hitachi Seiki VA-40 equipped with a Fanuc 6m control. We purchased a premade cable and hooked the machine up to a pc. While we have no problems transferring programs back and forth between the pc and machine, we can’t seem to get the machine to dnc properly. Seems like the control only reads a portion of the program and then stops.

Now, I have asked some other people what they thought and it seems like we have been getting mixed results. Some say that control can’t DNC, some say it can if we change a parameter, some say it will only DNC if we purchase a btr board. I would have no problem purchasing a btr board, I just want to make sure that is the only option before we spend $$$$ on this machine.

Anybody have any experience with this issue on this control or have any suggestions?

Like all Fanuc controls, you may or may not have the features needed to do it. What you need on the machine is this...

Tape Mode on the mode selector switch.
    RS-232 serial port on the machine.

If you have those two features, then you should be able to "Drip feed". You will need to set the parameters up for the proper handshaking and communications speed. I would recommend X-on X-Off handshaking ( I believe Fanuc refers to that as "control codes are used".

Make sure the software you are using is configured for the same protocol. If you are using hardwire handshaking, make sure the cable is correct.

TO use...

Put machine in Tape mode.
    Press Cycle start... machine waits for CNC program

Send program to machine from your software
    Machine begins running the cycle.

Single block, dry run, etc. all work fine with Tape mode.

Chris

Hey Chris, Thanks for the quick reply. This machine does have the tape option on the control and an RS232 port on the side. I will go double check settings as soon as I get a chance, and see if it works.

Just out of cuorisity do you think that even though this machine has the port and the tape setting, the control would still not accept a drip feed?

Matt Mason
    TR Manufacturing

There are/were options for large buffers used with drip feeding, but they really are not needed.

Drip feeding is really a very basic and fundemental aspect of communications - it is not a machine tool "feature". All that is happening here is this....

Machine in Tape Mode, press cycle start, send program to machine...

The machine will accept as much CNC data as it can till it's buffer is full. At this point is sends a "Stop" code to the host computer. As the machine uses up more the CNC program in it's buffer, a "Start" command is sent to the host computer to send more data. This repeats until the end of the program is reached.

The "Stop" and "Start" commands are basic communications commands. They can be either a hardwire configuration (cable wireing) or a software configuration (X-on, X-Off - in FANUC terminology Control codes are used).

That is really all there is to it.

So at the machine end of things you need tape mode, which causes the CNC to read data from the input rather than memory. You need an RS232 port configured for hand shaking (Control codes are used in the parameters) and you need a cable to the host computer.

The host computer needs to have handshaking setup the same way (X-On X-Off).

That's about all there is to it.

Chris

My Machine is control Fanuc 6M too.
    I try to sometime with out the board. Tried.
    I have to buy BTR to run DNC.
    Now it work OK.

Matt could you let me know what you ended up doing as I have a 6m-b I would like to drip feed. My machine has about 6k memory.

Drip-feeding a Fanuc 6M

There are two sure-fire ways to drip-feed a Fanuc 6M.

1) You can use our MultiPort PC-DNC Editor with a "direct connect" BTR cable, which fakes out the CNCs tape reader. This approach requires that you have a PC located very close to the CNC control.

2) You can install a BTR board. We like the one made by ADR corporation, and we sell it through our West coast distributor, Refresh Your Memory, Inc. (www.rym.com).

The BTR board is more expensive, but it lets you run a long serial cable from your PC to the CNC control. The "direct connect" method uses the parallel port from your PC to connect directly to the CNCs tape reader port. The direct connect method is just a custom cable and software, so it's less expensive thatn the BTR board.

You can get more info. on both systems from www.rym.com

I'm having the same issue, I have decided......
    How much is punch tape , it's starting to sound like the cheapest solution lol right?

Smile pc-dnc

Try pc-dnc as suggested by Dan Fritz, works well if set up correctly

Quote Originally Posted by 2ezy View Post
    Try pc-dnc as suggested by Dan Fritz, works well if set up correctly
    I am sure it does, and I love the peepz @ RYM but @ $1200, I have to exhaust every option before hand. I'm not a biz, just a dude with a buddy in a garage with a 6M making parts for our buckets car projects..

Smile re-pc-dnc

sorry i cannot suggest an easier option, i hope someone else can suggest a solution to your prblem:wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Camfather View Post
    I am sure it does, and I love the peepz @ RYM but @ $1200, I have to exhaust every option before hand. I'm not a biz, just a dude with a buddy in a garage with a 6M making parts for our buckets car projects..
    Using a BTR is the best way to go. They are relatively cheap, with the better ones running about the $400.00 marks. The installation pictured is on a 5T, and the screen capture is of custom software I wrote to allow the operator to observe in real time the current and buffered blocks. A PC was dedicated to the installation, again, not much money as the PC need only to be quite basic. The PC was dismantled with its components secured inside the control enclosure, and then connected to a LAN. The 5T has no screen, hence the value in being able to keep track of the program via the software. You have the advantage with the 6M of having a screen.

Regards,

Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTR2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	155745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNC1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	155746

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fritz View Post
    There are two sure-fire ways to drip-feed a Fanuc 6M.

1) You can use our MultiPort PC-DNC Editor with a "direct connect" BTR cable, which fakes out the CNCs tape reader. This approach requires that you have a PC located very close to the CNC control.

2) You can install a BTR board. We like the one made by ADR corporation, and we sell it through our West coast distributor, Refresh Your Memory, Inc. (RYM - CNC Monitoring & Communication Solutions).

The BTR board is more expensive, but it lets you run a long serial cable from your PC to the CNC control. The "direct connect" method uses the parallel port from your PC to connect directly to the CNCs tape reader port. The direct connect method is just a custom cable and software, so it's less expensive thatn the BTR board.

You can get more info. on both systems from RYM - CNC Monitoring & Communication Solutions
    hey Dan

I am interested in the No.1 solution for drip feed on fanuc 6m, could you please explain more closely about the "direct connect" BTR cable and what are the additional settings to fake out the CNCs tape reader ???

regards

Thank You!

And a Thank U to CNCzone!

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Using a BTR is the best way to go. They are relatively cheap, with the better ones running about the $400.00 marks. The installation pictured is on a 5T, and the screen capture is of custom software I wrote to allow the operator to observe in real time the current and buffered blocks. A PC was dedicated to the installation, again, not much money as the PC need only to be quite basic. The PC was dismantled with its components secured inside the control enclosure, and then connected to a LAN. The 5T has no screen, hence the value in being able to keep track of the program via the software. You have the advantage with the 6M of having a screen.

Regards,

Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTR2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	155745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DNC1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	155746
    Bill,

Where did you get that btr board?

I have searched that company and they apparently have no website.

I will really appreciate if you could point me to where that board can be bought.

Regards

Rafael

Re: Drip Feeding to a Fanuc 6m

our company has made a small device with bluetooth and 1G flash memory
    we upload program to 1G flash via bluetooth and then works in TAPE mode like BTR

Re: Drip Feeding to a Fanuc 6m

Hi Guhl,

If it works with Fanuc 6MB, go ahead, tell me more. I'm all ears.

rlarios