586,075 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

chinese laser on US electrical system ...

Just a question about power supply for a laser engraver , the manufacturer states that it should have an electrical source of

220V/50Hz/ 20AMP

How do I connect that to the residential electrical system in the USA ?

can I use the Double pole breaker in my electrical panel to provide 240V / 60Hz ?
    (Im not an electrician , just have a basic knowledge)
    Would that work ? Do I have any other options ?

Apprecieata your input.

Thank you

V

Most imported equipment have a ±10% supply tolerance so if they are referring to 1 phase then your 240v double pole breaker should work, it may pay to check with them if there is any sensitivity between operating 50/60hz.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Most imported equipment have a ±10% supply tolerance so if they are referring to 1 phase then your 240v double pole breaker should work, it may pay to check with them if there is any sensitivity between operating 50/60hz.
    Al.
    Thanks for the quick answer , how do I connect the wires though ?

from the double pole breaker Ive got 2x 110v + 1 ground on the other side Ive got 220v neutreal and ground.

Quote Originally Posted by vee1982 View Post
    on the other side Ive got 220v neutreal and ground.
    This usually refers to European and Australian type supply where one side of the 220 is grounded neutral.
    So you would just connect the 1 ph 240v to from your breaker, also run a ground wire.
    You should not need a neutral in this case.
    Al.

Albert E.

Well I still don't get it.
    out of the double pole I have got 2 conductors that read 110v each and the ground wire. So do I connect

110v-220v
    110v-neutral
    ground-ground

?

Thanks

You should have two conductors that read 240v between them, they will each read 120vac to both neutral and ground.
    Use the 240v pair, run a ground, forget the neutral.
    If you have a pair of hot conductors and they do not read 240v or read 0v between them, then you have two same 120v conductors which will not work.
    Al.

Albert E.

ok lets say it reads 220 betwen them , but the chinese plug have 3 prongs , one is ground other neutral and 220v.

so from what youre saying i take one of the conductors from the double pole switch and connect it to what is 220v? or splice those two 110v and connect them with 220v on the chinese plug ?

sorry about being a PITA

below is the scheme that I found in the old thread somewhere on the forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ignore the neutral label on the Chinese plug, connect the two conductors that read 240v between them by connecting one to the 220v pin, connect the other to the one labeled neutral.
    Connect a ground to the ground pin.
    The neutral they are referring to is different from the neutral you have in N.A.
    Al.

Albert E.

Electricians...

Don't mean to butt in or come off wrong... But if you have to ask - you probably shouldn't go anywhere near it! If you have a licensed electrician hook your machine up, it will usually run about $200 to $300 (unless you have a buddy who will hook you up) AND INCLUDE a permit (in most cases)... If you end up hooking up your machine wrong, have a fire (started by wiring OR by your laser engraver) chances are your home owners insurance will tell you to take a hike... If the work is performed by a licensed and bonded electrician and something happens at least you won't be fined by the county/city and then have to pay the fire department to bail you out.

BUT.... If you decide to hook up the machine -you will need to shut down power to your breaker box, and install a new circuit breaker, generally single phase 240V 50Hz/60Hz will MOST LIKELY require a 30A (x2) breaker, I have a double pole 30/30 for my cnc THEY NEED TO BE NEXT TO EACH OTHER AND CONNECTED - SO IF ONE TRIPS THE OTHER WILL TOO.... But, I would check the manufacturer's specs and see if you need a 15/15 or 20/20... Once you figure out the amperage, check out your breaker box/breaker type to ensure you purchase the correct circuit breaker at the store (Lowes, Home Depot)... So now onto wiring... (there are literally 2 legs with common neutral - aka live conductors with shared ground - called three wire single phase mid-point neutral) You can purchase wire at most home improvement stores by the foot of individual strands (if the installation area is close to your breaker box) or rolls of 3 wire 12-2 (NM-B) for use with a 15/15 or 20/20A ---- OR a heaver gauge (10) if hooked up to a 30A Breaker... (my installation has insulated wire (I suggest using conduit if you are NOT running through walls) to where your machine will be installed. You can hard wire the machine or set up an outlet box (make sure you hook up socket correctly - check specs)... You can literally calculate what gauge of wire you need for your application based on the draw of your motors/laser... If you want to do it right, check with NEC article 210-19 (FPN No. 4). I didn't read your post in depth, but thought I would give a cent or 2 in your thread. Best of luck, contact me if you would like some better explanin'.... My suggestion; Have it installed by a local IBEW electrician! It will be legal, safe, and quick! Take care,

-Levi

I forgot to mention that 110 is literally the same as 120 (in the USA at this point in time) - so 220/240 is referring to 2 legs @ 110/120... Don't worry about the 220 or 240 lingo, the 2 conductors and neutral is what you need to worry about - check the specs (or follow the wires inside the machine, ground is usually pretty easy to locate, vs. the 2 leads will eventually lead to the laser / motors on the PCB). -=Levi=- - After rereading the thread, it looks like you already have this figured out... So much for a quick response (I type 60+wpm, unfortunately I don't read that fast! hahahaha) Take care -Levi

I forgot to comment on the PDF, Although not the clearest, the one on the right shows the right way.
    Al.

Albert E.

Why not ask for 110/120 volt. They should be able to supply you with it at no extra charge.