586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 2D engraving

2D engraving

Hi there,

I need to engrave a small name-plate in brass on my mill. At the moment my mill is only running on 2 axes, so there is no automatic z-axis, only a manual z-axis.

Is there any software (prefarably free, as I probably won't do this again in the next 2 years) that can turn simple text into a toolpath for me to engrave. It would be nice if it could put breaks in so I can operate the z-axis, otherwise, I will just have to manually edit the program.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Use DeskEngrave from Deskam.com. Create your program and then use a text editor ( like notepad)to change all the Z lifts to M00. The machine will pause, waiting for you to lift the spindle and press start.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Hi Fred,

DeskEngrave looks like it is what I need, but the only problem is that I can't get it to work. When I download the program and try to run it, it says the setup file is corrupted, so it won't even install. Are there any other programs?

Regards
    Warren
    Have a nice day...

Try downloading it again. Be sure to delete the old corrupted file, first. Wierd things happen to internet connections during hurricanes, and Katrina just buzzed over southern and North-eastern US.

DeskCNC includes the guts of Deskengrave and there is a full working, 30 day demo available from the DeskCNC.com web site.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Is thier a post for using DeskCNC cam for use with Mach?

Use any of the ISO-G code posts that are included with the installation.

Setup-Options-Misc to select a post in DeskCNC.

You will have to deliberately mess with things to produce a program with DeskCNC that is NOT compatible with Mach.

Fred Smith - IMService

How about using the laser posts?

As far as I know there is no extra charge to use any of the included posts. ;-)

Fred Smith - IMService

G'day
    If you give me dimensions of the pate you want to engrave and text, and font, I can post aprogram for you to edit for your machine.
    John

oldjohn,
    I was just thinking the same thing. One of us should be able to spit out a program
    Gary