586,036 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > PM45 and PM1127VF-LB Arrive with major issues.

PM45 and PM1127VF-LB Arrive with major issues.

Three days ago my mill and lathe arrived during some heavy rain so I just shoved them in the already packed garage and over the last 2 days have started uncrating and tear down for the move to the basement.

The lathe being closest to the door is the first to get uncrated and torn down for the move. (it's also the lightest) The first thing I noticed was that the cross slide ways looked to have casting sand in them so I decided to take it down to the component level instead of moving the apron as one whole assembled piece. I was totally shocked today when I took the apron off the bed at what was underneath. The way for the bed on the apron is so bad that it would probably double as a crude file. It looks like it was never touched after casting. The top of the apron where I thought was casting sand was the actual casting. Both these surfaces are way surfaces. One being the actual lathe bed. I also have enough iron in the cross feed gear box to make parts out of. I just found this today and will be contacting Matt and QMT on monday to get this resolved. I'm very let down to say the least. Also the rear apron gib was barely touched with the surfacer. The rest of the lathe so far is in decent order, or what you would expect from a Chinese machine. Their is already a few parts I want to make to replace poorly designed and machined parts but I need the lathe operational to make them.

Edit: I'm not saying anything bad about QMT here. This was an overlooked piece at the factory and just want others to see it so they could check theirs out to see if they might have the same issue. I'm happy with the rest of the lathe so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20110521_150640.jpg   IMG_20110521_150647.jpg  
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

It is disappointing to hear that.

You also mentioned PM-45 issues in the thread title. Even though you have not yet taken it down as far as the lathe, can you already see that there are problems? Due to shipping damage or factory manufacturing defects?

I think the title is a little misleading. It's only the lathe and it's the apron which is a major issue. Not bashing QMT or the shipping. Shipping was great. The mill looks to be in good shape. I hope to have it apart tomorrow. I hope to be able to move both into the basement and start their reasonably on Monday.
    Jeremiah

These type of posts about PM machines seem to be popping up regularly lately. One guy bought a 14x40 lathe and returned it because of problems and no response. In the end it is up to him to buy from quality suppliers.
    I hope you get it worked out, because from what I have read others have had trouble getting him to respond to emails after telling him about problems.

Dave

They have never been responsive to email. In my experience you do get decent service from them but you also have to nag over the phone a bit to get it. I don't know if it's just poor message taking or too much service work to get the phone often but I usually had to call 3 or more times before getting the call-back.

Email was often not answered in a timely fashion, if at all. Once I did get their attention my issues were resolved.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

maglin,

Curious as to the final outcome on the lathe and mill?

Damn dude that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully they will make it right for you. jeez. Peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    Damn dude that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully they will make it right for you. jeez. Peace

Pete
    this was 2 and a half years ago dude.

I ended up replacing the lathe with a PM1236. Much happier with it. I can take pretty hefty cuts with it compared to the 1127. I'll buy more from QMT in the future.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Jeremiah