586,089 active members*
3,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > 17-4 SS, 316SS, G5 TI Milling speeds??

17-4 SS, 316SS, G5 TI Milling speeds??

I am fairly new to machining these materials. I currently cut with TiALN carbide end mills. When programing i run spindle speeds at 1000 with a 1/2 EM, feed rate at 3. ipm. It seems to work ok. Does this sound like normal speeds?? If anyone has experience with this i would apprieciate some help.

Talking End Mill Feeds & Speeds

Travis,

There are many variables that come into play when trying to obtain the best feed & speed for a certain tool.

Tool effective set length
    Toll holder used, collet, solid, shrinker
    Machine rigidity
    Part rigidity in holding device
    Coolant, oil or water soluable or dry
    Tool type used

Is the end mill you are using a varible flute?
    Who is the maker, what is the tool #, what is the corner radius?
    How is it setup?

I am cutting 15-5 SS. I am able to run a 1/2" Hanita, TiALN coated, 4-flute varible flute end mill with .030 R, set 2.0" out of a shrink-fit holder at 2500 rpm @ 10 ipm. I am using Hangsterfers Hard Cut 5418 oil as coolant.

1000 rpm @ 3 ipm is kind of slow depending on the depth of your cut and the finish & dimentional requirements.

A good way to help in better determining what your best fit varibles are for your current conditions is to make a bunch of test cuts on a some test material if you have some available to cut on.

Tool harmonics can greatly effect tool life & your cutting results. Don't be afraid to experiment with different feeds & speeds if you have the time, tooling & material to test with.

Even if I was cutting the exact same material as you, it would not mean that my feeds & speeds would work under the conditions you are working with.

Remember, the more detailed you are in your questions, the better we are able to help answer you.

Keep on milling.

Kenny

All the questions Kenny asked were excellent. A lot of people are starting to use different types of tool paths, known as trochoidal machining, in these "Super Alloys". I would talk to your CAM software provider about what type of trochoidal milling features your software may have that you are not aware of. Check out this video of High Speed Titanium Machining.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKz3C29FttA"]YouTube - ‪6Al4V Titanium High Speed Machining by RobbJack at 75 ipm‬‏[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by travis.tsi View Post
    I am fairly new to machining these materials. I currently cut with TiALN carbide end mills. When programing i run spindle speeds at 1000 with a 1/2 EM, feed rate at 3. ipm. It seems to work ok. Does this sound like normal speeds?? If anyone has experience with this i would apprieciate some help.
    Many factors control what is best. With the right endmill grind, and machine that can keep up with the endmill, 17-4 can run at 800 ipm dry, 15-5 about the same. Even the dreaded "inconel" can be milled at 250 ipm. These speeds and feeds are achieved using cutter paths that limit tool engagement angles. Full width passes are much slower, but I usually program a 1/2" endmill at .002 ipt minimum, with 1000 rpm equaling 10 ipm.