586,104 active members*
3,268 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Taig Micro Mill is Wobbling

Well this sucks. We just setup our Taig Micro mill and after putting a drill bit in it that’s about 2.5 inches in length we noticed that the drill bit was wobbling. The funny thing is when you tighten the drill bit in place with a Collet you can now feel the play by rocking the drill bit back and forth. Same when we put the chuck on there. The play is only about 0.001 but the vibrations are going to kill any precision work we want to do, which is why we got the thing in the first place.

I need help and subjections on things I can do to gets the problem and solutions to solve it. When there are no bits attacked to the headstock it feels solid but maybe the play is so minute that I can’t feel it unless I get a leverage arm attacked to it, like a drill bit or chuck.

I got the unit off ebay so I don’t know what kind of support taig tools will give me.

Might be best off getting a new headstock from Taig. These are cheap enough, and at least it will be under warranty if it fails.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Was it new or used off eBay? If new then you should be able to Taig to back up there portion at least as those guys are considered resellers.

Are there dovetails to tighten? I know on my mill, if the dovetails arent tightened sufficiently it will do the same thing unless its your bearings. Where exactly is it rocking?
    maybe tighten the column down too.

Jon

The headstock seams sturdy but I’ll double check the hardware to make sure its all tight. The bit wobbles slightly at the tip but looks sturdy at the base.

They said it was a new unit, so if it is the headstock then we’ll work with them to try to get them to replace it.