586,036 active members*
3,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

metal milling machine conversion

Hi! (please forgive my lack of technical knowhow)

Apologies if this is the wrong subforum.

I have access to a manually-controlled BRIDGEPORT MITE milling machine. The owner would like to convert it to a CNC mill. Sitting next to it in the same shop is a machine that was bought already converted. The best price he's seen for a conversion kit is $19k and he hopes to do it for less.
    I found Motors offering most of the steppers & wiring. If I understand correctly the computer, controller, and motor mounts are missing.
    Can this conversion be done for less than the price he's looking at? Where would I find the missing pieces?

aggrav8d,

I am certainly NOT an expert, and there are MANY factors to consider, but I would certainly think you could do a conversion for less than $19k; however, I am also certain you could spend a great deal more. On the list of things to be considered are the weight of the tables/spindle; the speed you wish to move the tables/spindle; how accurate you need positioning; how much value you place on the man-hours required to perform the conversion, to name a few.

For instance, if the conversion engineering, fabrication and set-up require 400 hours and the base rate is $100 per hour, then the conversion would run $40k + parts. If the time spent is considered "Sweat-Equity" and has no cash value then the conversion would be $0 + parts. I would think that the actual parts BOM could be as low as $1k-$2k if parts were obtained through salvage venues, but using salvage parts can require a great deal more engineering time.

If you are simply looking for a third party to engineer and implement a turn-key solution, depending on the specifications of the machine and the build, $19k may be low or high. That is, if the machine MFG or a third party offers a "conversion package" for that particular mill then this would eliminate engineering costs, and should provide a reasonable time estimate for implementing the conversion.

I am certain if you specify the exact MFG & Model # of the mill you will attract much better replies than this one, but even with the MFG & Model #, a great deal of the cost will depend on the value placed on the labor involved.

Fish

machine type updated. I don't know why it didn't stick in my head.

for the 19k it would be a far better investment to buy a used fadal or haas, supermax rebel or pretty much anything. this way you get the rigidity and a tool changer

delw, I think you're missing the point(s).

- he's already got the machine.
    - he's been quoted 19k for the upgrade
    - he can't afford that
    - can it be done for less? if so, how?

aggrav8d,

Again, a lot depends on how much design/fabrication/labor you are willing to put into the project yourself (or himself), and the feed rates and forces required. For instance, if you/he are willing to design/build the motor mounts and modify the lead screws and your feed rate and power requirements are modest, you might be able to use belt-driven NEMA23 steppers with a gecko g540 and convert the mill for <$1000 + your time. If you need more torque/speed (and likely you will) you could use something like kelings NEMA34 steppers; with drivers and power supplies you will end up somewhere around ~2k, and if this still isn't fast/powerful enough something like kelings servo motors AC Servo Motors, Keling Technology Inc, USA either direct drive or belt driven, you might complete the conversion for $4k-$6k.

If you decide you need to upgrade the lead screws to ball screws, add another $400 to $1200+ to the above.

All of this assumes you have a PC and the appropriate software licenses, and are willing to dedicate the time to DIY the design and fabrication. You should expect the design and fabrication to require a fairly substantial investment in time if you hope to get good results.

Fish

Quote Originally Posted by aggrav8d View Post
    delw, I think you're missing the point(s).

- he's already got the machine.
    - he's been quoted 19k for the upgrade
    - he can't afford that
    - can it be done for less? if so, how?
    Not really sometimes its better to junk a pcs of equipment and buy something else thats more rigid, stronger or something already working, easier to use, accepts bigger parts etc etc.

retrofits get very expensive when done correctly/ if I couldnt get it done for under 10-12k I would be looking for somethign else. and that money spent only if the machine is strong. ( isnt this a hand mill style, like the boss's way back when?)