586,075 active members*
3,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > what endmill/bits for engraving aluminum?

what endmill/bits for engraving aluminum?

Just wondering what endmill/bits could use for engraving in aluminum?
    This will go on an X2

If you have a spotting drill it will work in a pinch quite well. They do make engraving bits. Here is a link to 1. I am not endorsing this product as much as just showing you the tools profile. It does look like the ones I use.
    Engraving Cutter 1/8 x 1½ 60°inc angle [815-HF60] - $8.95 : Bits & Bits

I use a 1/16 ballnose. Most of the engraving I do is post-anodizing. I've used spot drills in a pinch as well, but I've found it tends to chip the ano layer.... fwiw.

thanks guys! :idea:

rewster, Have you experienced the chipping with a 60 deg v tool? Or have you tried 1? I dont engrave anodized parts (or havent yet!). I would think the ballnose would be too vague in the corners however that all depends on letter or number size and font.
    Quote Originally Posted by rewster View Post
    I use a 1/16 ballnose. Most of the engraving I do is post-anodizing. I've used spot drills in a pinch as well, but I've found it tends to chip the ano layer.... fwiw.

btw... if you guys want to post some examples of your engravings it would be great. (Along with speed rate, depth of cut... etc)

what can I use to engrave something that requires a pocket operation like this:

I do quite a bit of engraving....

I do quite a bit of engraving including pockets like that on my CNC'd RF45. I use an engraving bit single flute 1/4 inch diameter with a .020 point flat. It has worked much better than any of the other tools I have used. I tried the countersink bit, a four flute 45 degree bit and a few others including a half inch router vee bit. This works the best by far. I have also read on Practical machinist forum that a lot of the pro's use a very small ball endmill for it and it also works well. Smooth edges. That seemed to be the most difficult part for me was getting tight edges and corners without making a sharp or slightly raised edge. You just need to run it as fast as you can and adjust your feed accordingly. Large pockets can take quite a while to finish but with the proper offset you will find a nice smooth floor. Good luck and peace

Pete

I use those engraving cutters that fastest1 linked to (maybe not that exact kind but the same general thing) and they work awesome. If you're doing something that isn't perfectly flat I would advise trying to find a spring loaded holder.

I'm also curious about the pocketing, I assume a bull end mill would be the best bet?

AR?

That looks like it was cut with a relatively small flat bottomed end-mill. A ball nose or bull nose would not leave a 90° corner. If you are looking for a sharp 90° corner go with a flat bottomed end-mill. If you want a rounded corner go with a ball/bull nose cutter. Keep in mind that with a ball nose you will need to take a small step over to keep a flat bottom for the pocket.
    John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

Quote Originally Posted by error404 View Post
    btw... if you guys want to post some examples of your engravings it would be great. (Along with speed rate, depth of cut... etc)
    something I finished this morning, co-worker request. 1/8" 6061 plate, anodized red. 1/16 ballnose, .002" DOC 40ipm

Quote Originally Posted by rewster View Post
    something I finished this morning, co-worker request. 1/8" 6061 plate, anodized red. 1/16 ballnose, .002" DOC 40ipm
    I would love one of those signs above my Tool box. I let my service manager have a key to my box for the just in case since I have the most specialty tools in the shop. Never failed someone else would think they could "barrow" something and either break it or "forget" to return it. Looks excellent btw.
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress