586,077 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Water cooled Chinese spindle disassembly
Page 1 of 4 123

Water cooled Chinese spindle disassembly

Hi
    Thought I would put this up for any one who might want to see or think about stripping down there spindle

Back ground to spindle....
    We got this 2.2kw spindle from linearmotionbearings2008 on ebay Has run well for the year we have had it.

The reason for disassembly....
    Had a most frustrating problem with my spindle most my fault.
    I was cleaning the mill down after routing some wood getting ready to do some aluminium. Can not run the coolant with wood dust. So what I do is to sweep up what I can then re direct the coolant out flow to a large bucket and hose down.
    Here is where the problem started I hose the top of the head and the water run down the spindle power cable into the plug, so when I turned the spindle on next day it popped the house safety switch.
    Tried blowing and wiping the water out then put heat gun on to it for a few hours still no go.
    Only one way left to go, have to disassemble to get the water out. Well I always wanted to know what was in side.

So here are the photos of the disassemble.
    No special tool where needed 2 allen keys and 2 long threaded 5mm bolts to remove bottom bearing housing from body.

It come apart ease enough.
    images
    #200 complete spindle
    #206 top off
    #209 show moisture and rust on inside of lid
    #210 spindle laid out from top
    #211spindle laid out form bottom
    #217 bottom bearing's
    #224 ID label on side of spindle that how it came
    #229 rear bearing

Before reassemble waiting on new water proof plug to arrive

Russell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0200.jpg   IMAG0206.jpg   IMAG0209.jpg   IMAG0210.jpg  

IMAG0211.jpg   IMAG0217.jpg  
    www.vapourforge.com ..................I recycle electrons.

rest of photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0224.jpg   IMAG0229.jpg  

Wow! Nsk bearing on the top! Do the bottom bearings have any markings on them?
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Hi
    Got the new water proof to 1 mt plug, not bad for under $20 delivered to my door.
    Had to open the top cap of spindle to 22mm to fit plug and put in two 3mm taped holes plus one for the new earth connection. The old earth was spot welded on and only had one strand left hanging on. Also added water proofing between the top cap and body by put some silicone as this had no seal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0243.jpg   IMAG0245.jpg   IMAG0250.jpg  

Pplug
    Yes the bottom bearing was a known brand I though i had a photo of it but missed it.
    Love your web site very inspirational (made a few for around home, see below) I wish you well with it
    I see you have a Granite base router we have a composite head on this mill gives much better performance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0166.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pplug View Post
    Wow! Nsk bearing on the top! Do the bottom bearings have any markings on them?
    That CAN'T be legit. LMB2008 is only $296 on the spindle. AFAIK there's no way to put NSKs in for that price. Especially since they don't NEED to.

Google "counterfeit NSK bearings". Counterfeit NSKs are all over. I don't see any definitive way to tell a genuine from a fake here. The NSK marking is easily forged and there's too many types of bearings and too many types of fakers to point out a specific, observable feature.

How was that spindle while it was working? Sound quiet and all? How many hours did you put on it?

Do not know if bearing are counterfeit or not but have run for 100+ hours on wood and aluminium still seam to be ok. Will have to measure to be sure.
    Got the new cable for spindle this one being shielded I might be able to have the radio on instead of static when the spindle is on.

Russell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0337.jpg  

That cable looks awesome! Where did you get it and how much? My Lmb2008 spindle has been running 3+ years without a hitch. The new spindles have wider water inlets and sound a bit quieter than my old one.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Russell,
    Thanks for posting these pictures. The picture gave me the information to pull apart my spindle and add a ground connection to the 4th pin.
    Thanks
    Dave

Pplug
    the cable is from
    Bambach Cables - EMC Cables
    cost $5.64au / mt +gst I had to pick it up as the want $30+ to send it across town plus I had a friend passing there door.
    You might find it close to home.If so let me know the cost you can get it for.

dfmiller
    The top comes of with just the 4 screws.
    I drilled and tap a hole in the top to added the new earth, also put the bolt up from inside and added a lock nut on the out side. Would not want it to come loss and fall inside the spindle now would we.

Here it is with new cable

Russell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0341.jpg  

I used a couple of star washers to secure mine.

Can you provide more details on your cooling arrangement. It looks rather serious.

Thanks
    Dave

For those interested.
    The photo in last post by me also shows the water system for spindle.
    The black square in the top corner is a car radiator and fan ( this also blow on to the z axis servo motor) this is at the highest point, the green cylinder on the right is the pump and filter.
    The red fire extinguisher is part of the air spring to balance the head.

Russell

Russell,
    That's a rather serious cooling system.
    What are the details on the pump?
    What type of temperature rise are you seeing?
    I am very interested on your results.
    As I read the spec sheet on the motor which looks identical to you. Its 26 GPH flow. Its hard to find a pump that flows that little. Yours seems a little more than I understood you needed.

Thanks
    Dave

Dave
    The pump used is a 440 litre / minute aquarium pump but there is a lot of flow resistant through the motor so it not doing 440
    These pumps are designed to run 24-7 with high flow resistance there have got ceramic shaft and cooled by the water flowing through them plus I had this one laying around not being used.
    Worst case we have had is where we had the mill been running all day chomping through aluminium (still was only pulling 4-5 amps)and the water temp leaving spindle was only a few degree above room temperature
    All I can say from our experience is it does not take much to keep them cool. Maybe if you where pulled the full 10 amps it would get hotter but I think our set up would handle this, whether the controller would be able to handle it be my worry

Hope this help Dave

Russell

The red fire extinguisher is part of the air spring to balance the head.
    Mate, Heath Robinson has got some serious competition!

Russell,
    Thats great information. I would have been surprised if there was much temperature rise. Any chance you have a model number or a picture of the exact pump. I have yet to locate a similar one. Are you running glycol or straight water?
    Cutting aluminum ? Nice. How many hours do you have on your spindle? I am just getting my spindle up and running so I am very curious.
    Thanks so much.
    Dave

Photo of pump plate
    hours 300 hours running
    samples of aluminium milling these are waiting for hand finishing so do not be to critical.(size 32 x 25 x 75 mm)

Russell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0383.jpg   IMAG0384.jpg   IMAG0388.jpg  

Russel,
    Thanks I was able to find these units on the web. The deserve a closer look.
    You are getting good life out of your spindle. Thats good news.
    Nice parts.
    Dave

do use glycol

Quote Originally Posted by rusel View Post
    Hi

It come apart ease enough.
    images
    #200 complete spindle
    #206 top off
    #209 show moisture and rust on inside of lid
    #210 spindle laid out from top
    #211spindle laid out form bottom
    #217 bottom bearing's
    #224 ID label on side of spindle that how it came
    #229 rear bearing

Before reassemble waiting on new water proof plug to arrive

Russell
    Hi Russell,

Im replacing my connector on my chinese spindle to a 4 prong type also. For the life of me i cant get the back off the damn thing with the bolts removed. Did you have to remove the water cooling taps to get it to come off? Mine feels rigid as hell. Ive tried to pry it a little but the gap between the back cap and the spindle body isnt big enough to get something in there to prize it off.

Thanks in Advance.

Page 1 of 4 123