586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas Controller?

Hi to you all, my first post here so go easy on a newbie

I have recently joined a new company and they are looking at purchasing a new Haas VF3 VMC. Could someone tell me a little about the controller on this model?

I worked a VF1 about 7 years ago and that had a fanuc controller on it using pure g code programming which I enjoyed. For the past 7 years I have been running XYZ VMC's with Siemens Shopmill 810D Controllers which was more like conversational, inputting values into selected cycles. I have also been using OneCNC CAM System on the XYZ which was great for high speed machining, 8000 RPM 25mm DOC and 4000mm/min feed on some of the aluminium components we used to make.

I have been told I will be getting 2 days training with Haas and then 1 day when the machine arrives.

Just wondering what to expect with the new Haas.

Many thanks

Overall , they are good machines. The haas controller is basically fanuc style with a few nice improvements. Ask the trainer about programming from dxf files, program restart settings, and the hsm trial period(200 hours, I think). The book that comes with them is very good on explanations. My only problem with them is the tool change time and relatively slow rapids. Training should be after the machine is there and functional. I would not schedule it before.

The Haas will run with the same ISO G-Code that is used in Fanuc controls. The only thing I've found different is in tapping cycles for a Haas (I think it was an M29 in there for the Fanuc controller).
    Aside from that, the controller itself is much more user friendly and quicker to get around in. Editing is quicker and easier.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.