586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RhinoCAM on PCNC 1100

Hello~

Looking to order a PCNC very soon. Unsure about CAM options... I have a fair amount of experience and time on an 2009(?) version of RhinoCAM2.0 Pro with 4th axis. Anybody here use Rhino? What about a post processor?

I would go with SprutCAM but it's new to me and support and documentation have me a little nervous.

Anybody using anything else i should look at on their Tormach?

Thanks

Rhino with Madcam

I used Rhino with Madcam when I was running my Tormach.
    I have Mach 2, Rhino3, Madcam 2.0. It all worked pretty well.
    My Tormach has been sitting idle for a couple of years as every spare minute has been spent either at work with 80 hour weeks or trying to bring part of a small farm I bought in 2008 back into Ag production.
    I am planning on upgrading the Mach/Rhino/Madcam to current revs and get back into things in the next month or so.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 0llie View Post
    Hello~

Looking to order a PCNC very soon. Unsure about CAM options... I have a fair amount of experience and time on an 2009(?) version of RhinoCAM2.0 Pro with 4th axis. Anybody here use Rhino? What about a post processor?

I would go with SprutCAM but it's new to me and support and documentation have me a little nervous.

Anybody using anything else i should look at on their Tormach?

Thanks

My RhinoCAM works fine with the Tormach. MecSoft has a post processor for Tormach and it works pretty well.

I am considering switching to SprutCAM, because the Pro 4th axis upgrade of RhinoCam is more expensive than the SprutCAM license.

I got lucky on the Rhino 4th axis component... I like the software and it would be a no-brainer except for 2 things. First, I don't get any updates for the Rhino package and can not afford to pay retail to get them and second, I'm looking at a full-boat PCNC1100 - ATC, tool setter (I know, Mach interface), the camera scanner, etc. And all that pulls me towards the complete package they are offering which includes SprutCAM because I really need it all to work together and keep working together. Tech support is a big one for me.

From a time on software and features side, RhinoCAM has got me. I have been happy with what i have seen and been able to do. But i have not yet done anything with tool changes or live 4th axis, only indexing. It's not that the program is perfect but I have learned what to look for and been able to work around those problems.

Thanks for the replies.

I am also going to purchase a PCNC 1100, and have thought long and hard about the software end of it. I use Autocad Inventor. I am likely to go with SprutCAM since Tormach has been generating examples, and their tech support people seem to approve of the program and have knowledge enough to help out.

I downloaded the demo version from the Tormach website, and have been working through some of the videos from Tormach. SprutCAM tutorials didn't install correctly on my computer, which is a little disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinro View Post
    I am also going to purchase a PCNC 1100, and have thought long and hard about the software end of it. I use Autocad Inventor. I am likely to go with SprutCAM since Tormach has been generating examples, and their tech support people seem to approve of the program and have knowledge enough to help out.

I downloaded the demo version from the Tormach website, and have been working through some of the videos from Tormach. SprutCAM tutorials didn't install correctly on my computer, which is a little disappointing.
    Keep in mind that SprutCAM has add-ins for several 3D CAD programs, including Inventor, SolidWorks, and Alibre. I don't know how the others work but the Alibre add-in adds a menu command that opens up SprutCAM and passes the currently active part directly to it. That works pretty well, though SprutCAM does not get updated with any future changes to the part design.

Mike