586,115 active members*
3,435 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Change to SprutCAM?

Change to SprutCAM?

Hello~

I have been looking at CAM packages to pair up with a new Tormach PCNC1100. I was leaning towards their version of SprutCAM 'any post' but as i dug into it I'm not so sure. I'm coming from RhinoCAM2 with 4th axis and like the program. I have posted over in the Tormach section asking if anyone uses RhinoCAM but haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone here have experience with both packages? I have the trial version of SprutCAM on my 'box but am struggling almost from the word go. Ran a few jobs to see how the tool path generation would look... jobs that i do now in Rhino... and SprutCAM is unhappy. A lock that eventually cleared itself and a outright crash. And this is with version 7.1.3.43686 I did not try the nightly build of v7.1.4

I see a lot of questions here about the program and wonder how many people are actually using it and how successful you are with it.

Thanks in advance.

Sprutcam User

I use Sprutcam and am fairly satisfied. It does have its quirks, but for the money it has a LOT of functionality.

How long have you been a user? Anything complex and the hiccups you did encounter, were you able to work around them in the software?

Thanks

Ollie, the first rule of SprutCAM is not to download the versions directly from SprutCAM, especially do not download the night builds. These versions are in no way stable, and undergo daily changes. All version downloads should come from Tormach, as I have tested them and have been using them before they are made available to the public.

In order to get past the learning curve, I recommend viewing my tutorial videos that are available here CAD & CAM Video | Tormach | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

Ok. Point taken. I have seen some or most of your videos.

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by 0llie View Post
    Hello~

I see a lot of questions here about the program and wonder how many people are actually using it and how successful you are with it.

Thanks in advance.
    I've been a user of SprutCAM 4, SprutCAM 2007, and now SprutCAM 7 and have been reasonably successful with it for the mostly simple projects I have. The video tutorials on YouTube by Eric at Tormach and Dave at Sprut UK have been a big help and the program seems to be getting steadily better. It has far more capability than I need right now, but I like to plan for the future. There hasn't been a part that I could not make, but like I said my needs are somewhat modest.

From what I can tell SC is about the best bang for your buck, especially if bought with a Tormach mill.

Mike

I bought it with my PCNC 1100 last year and am VERY pleased with it's functionality and value. Sure, took a little while to learn, but am happy now.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD