586,108 active members*
2,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

Just finished a PM on one of our okumas, noticed the batteries have never been changed. I can order from okuma but would rather not. any one know what batteries are in there? Don't want to take down the machine. Would love to just order some from digi key.

OSP100E
    OSP100U
    OSP7000

Thanks

I just changed mine out on a Cadet with OSP 700. This machine checks the voltage on the battery and generates an alarm when they get low. The other way it generates an alarm is when a certain time has expired, which requires a battery utility disk in order to reset the alarm. I believe yours will do the same.

Either way, replacing the batteries in advance is usually a waste of time unless you know that the machine is going into storage for quite a while IMHO.

That being said, if you open up the battery cassette (without unplugging it), you should have 3 toshiba ER17500V 3.6V lithium batteries. You can get them on e-bay or I've heard that batteries plus can "rebuild" the cassette for you. I opted for the first, but found that the wires supplied with the batteries had the correct connection, but were were too short to properly fit the Okuma cassette, so some additional effort was required on my part.

Once rebuilt, I just swapped them out with the machine under power to ensure no memory loss. (not the Okuma procedure... I know)

Used the utility to reset the alarm.

Best to make sure you are backed up and that the date is correct on your machine before starting this procedure.

Best regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails batt.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    I just changed mine out on a Cadet with OSP 700. This machine checks the voltage on the battery and generates an alarm when they get low. The other way it generates an alarm is when a certain time has expired, which requires a battery utility disk in order to reset the alarm. I believe yours will do the same.

Either way, replacing the batteries in advance is usually a waste of time unless you know that the machine is going into storage for quite a while IMHO.

That being said, if you open up the battery cassette (without unplugging it), you should have 3 toshiba ER17500V 3.6V lithium batteries. You can get them on e-bay or I've heard that batteries plus can "rebuild" the cassette for you. I opted for the first, but found that the wires supplied with the batteries had the correct connection, but were were too short to properly fit the Okuma cassette, so some additional effort was required on my part.

Once rebuilt, I just swapped them out with the machine under power to ensure no memory loss. (not the Okuma procedure... I know)

Used the utility to reset the alarm.

Best to make sure you are backed up and that the date is correct on your machine before starting this procedure.

Best regards,
    hey Okumawiz- I just got off the phone with tech support, they said I needed a 'battery initialization disk' (p/n 'a911-dataconn') to clear the cmos on a new memory card before it will allow reloading the software...they ordered it, just curious if you might have some pointers as to how to use it to initialize the memory? I'm kinda guessing the disk wont come with instructions, and saw no references to it in the manuals. thanks for any info
    Tim

I do have the complete instructions with the disk. The short of it is: Backup your files and then do step 8 to reset the expiration date.

The backup is for insurance purposes in case you don't replace the batteries fast enough (using their procedure). If the power is on, you will not lose memory, but need to be careful crawling through the electronic control area since it's live.

The newer software does not erase anything other than the alarm. (older software flushed memory)

See attached instructions;

Best regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails battery instructions.jpg  

thanks! what manual did you get that from?

I cant backup anything as the control was pretty gutted when we got it, put a bunch of new boards in it...we do have 2 other machines that appear identical, if the reload disk set dont work out, might have to copy one of them...

another question- is there a cheep floppy drive replacement available for these machines? 2 of the 7 we have up have bad floppy drives, and a old standard IBM-pc drive dont seem to work... theyre using the rs232 now, but those drives were handy. I tried looking at the machine reload disks on my laptop, only two would read, but even they said no files- so guess okuma uses a different format?

thanks again for the info

I think it's the first 2 disks that are in okuma format if I remember right. Yes,they are a special format that dos can't read.

I've heard of a utility called DOSP that will allow them to be read on a PC.

I see from another post that you may be starting up from scratch with the control. (Bus Error alarm) If that's the case and there is no backup, you may want to try to install software.

Insert disk one, go to the back of the machine and turn on system install mode. Then push system reset and see if it will read from disk 1. If it does, follow the instructions from there loading all disks. If it does not and you get the bus error, I think you've got board troubles.

There are some guys that offer okuma equivalent drives...search the posts on here, I remember seeing it discussed. Anyone?

Best regards,

yes, trying to reinstall software...still boots with bus errors. after listing of bus errors, it gets a sbp monitor> prompt, started hitting keys just for the heck of it- 'L' must be load, as the floppy light comes on, but then it says file not found. the install disks have been in the cabinet since 1998, kinda wondering if they are even any good, with door closed theyre just inches from the spindle power lines- thats probably a fair magnetic field area there...

the guys at Gosiger said to get the battery installation disk, as it has a utility to reformat the cmos. the address code displayed told them the fault was cmos area 1, and its a new board. they ordered the disk, dont know when to expect it though. ive hijacked this thread bad enough- got a question on a LAW-S with the 5000 control...will do a separate thread before derailing this one any further

Try the install, it should also initialize the CMOS as it installs. One of the first things it does. At this point you have nothing to lose...

trying the install disk it appears the system halts before its even got a chance...had someone watch up front when hitting the sys reset, all that happens is the backlight goes off/on, some loading stuff scrolls by, then the buss error and SBP monitor...the floppy light never even blinks to try and read the floppy. What worries me is waiting for the battery initialization disk and having the same issue...hoping something like the SBP> "L" that tries to read the floppy will read the battery disk, but I'm honestly clueless here on these things.
    Weve retrofitted I bet close to a thousand Fanucs over the years, everyone here is pretty familiar with startup/maintenance on those, but these OSPs are a entirely new critter... just got some teething pains to get thru.

Ive got a feeling they are going to need to bring a Okuma tech in, preferably sooner rather than later- looks like a decent control, just different from what were used to.
    stuff like the stroke limits make no sense to me- they are set and run fine, but the numbers are irrelevant compared to other CNCs that normally have zero at the spindle face- or at least somewhere in the work envelope...a couple of these Okumas say the encoder position is like 900 inches, stroke limits are from like 900-920? noone knows how to reset them yet, but as they run, we probably wont mess with them anyways...all the LAW-FLs will crash if started mid program- one of the setup guys showed me how starting from a certain line with only a x move will run the z forward a mile on the x only line of the program...has to be some kind off offset comp thing, but never ever saw such a thing on a fanuc... theyve tore a couple toolblocks off trying to rework parts until they found out what not to do- of course we got to find out how to replace the turret pins that shear when that happens too...

Most likely you have a board problem and you will have the same trouble when you try to use the Battery disk. Sorry for the bad news. (flame2)

Leave your stroke end limits alone. The Okuma has absolute encoders and requires no zero or homing - they power up and know where they are by reading the encoder - much like an odometer on a car. Just use your Z zero set to set where you want zero on the machine.

Normally all your "factory limits" are written down on the Management Data Card in the back of the electrical cabinet, so if you mess them up, you can go back to the factory settings.

For setups, single block on - feed rate down and look at your distance to go on the ACTUAL POSITION screen (page down a couple of times). You'll never crash an Okuma if you do it that way since you can "see" everything it's going to do before it does it.

Get the tech in, I think you will need to get past the Buss error first.

Wiz.

Good day, I have the same problem, "BATTERY ALARM", I´ve replaced the batteries, but the alarm continues, do you know where can get the disk "BATTERY EXCHANGE" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Arguijo View Post
    Good day, I have the same problem, "BATTERY ALARM", I´ve replaced the batteries, but the alarm continues, do you know where can get the disk "BATTERY EXCHANGE" ?
    I got mine from the local Okuma distributor for no cost. I used to be able to make floppy images of Okuma disks and duplicated them on an old Mac, but was wondering if Kurmay's utility could do the same thing - anybody tried it?

Thanks a lot for your help, I´ve contacted to local representative form Okuma, and I got the disk free also, the machine is running!

Pretty nice. Our local dealer charges $100. for the 3 disk set. Batteries are some $430. from the dealer, ouch.