586,047 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Reinventing the wheel

I just saw this on T.V. tonight. All I can say is WOW.

http://www.airtrax.com/flash/sidewin...eo_viewer.html

There's some serious hardware/software running in the background to allow for this kind of movement (all in real time).

They say it took 10 years to develop. It was developed with financial support from the Navy.

Cost $ >30,000

Now if I can just persuade the boss we need one

Carlo

I'm telling you, we NEED one of these...

http://www.airtrax.com/flash/mp2_video_viewer.html

cool stuff - thx for th link

Wow, that is a really neat idea, not intuitive mind you, but brilliant nonetheless
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That is one awsome peice of machinery!

Too bad its probably a fortune! And those wheels Probably wont last very long, they also look like it would cost some $$$ to replace the polyurethane part too.

I want one!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Am I missing something, because these just look like the Omniwheels that robot hobyists have been using for a while now - just bigger?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Javadog;

The omniwheels do not have the multiple rollers at the same angle to the main axis. I do not think they would scoot the vehicle sideways in the same manner when the front and rear wheels counter-rotate.

Wheels similar to the Sidewinder's have been used on power wheelchairs, I have seen demo models but I think they are not practical because they are power hogs especially on a soft surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Javadog;

The omniwheels do not have the multiple rollers at the same angle to the main axis. I do not think they would scoot the vehicle sideways in the same manner when the front and rear wheels counter-rotate.
    Hi Geof,

Yup, when the wheels are parallel to each other the omniwheels wont allow crabbing. BUT, if you go to an arrangement where the wheels are angled with respect to each other, it's a different story. The simplest arrangement is a three wheeled holonomic platform where the "axles" all point to the center (like spokes in a wheel). Look here or here. Links to some video are on this page.

Lance

Lance;
    Did you look at the forklift video? Quite impressive but I wonder about the durability.

An expensive toy

Lance;
    Did you look at the forklift video? Quite impressive but I wonder about the durability.
    Those where exactly my thoughts. And when (not if) something breaks "who ya gonna call?" Not exactly like there are a lot of options. So you pay whatever they charge you. But the military is used to $10,000 screwdrivers, so I guess they wouldn't mind.

Lance

Geof,

Think of it terms of a riding mower. Now THAT would be cool-one step beyond zero turning radius. I mow a BIG yard with a conventional tractor and one of these days I'm going to keep how much time is wasted looping around for the next swipe.

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Evodyne
    Geof,
    Think of it terms of a riding mower. Now THAT would be cool-one step beyond zero turning radius. I mow a BIG yard with a conventional tractor and one of these days I'm going to keep how much time is wasted looping around for the next swipe.

Lance
    Get one of these. Small turing radius. Fun to drive and costs a lot less than $30K ! (wedge)

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/
    Wayne Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Evodyne
    Geof,

Lance
    I don't waste any time mowing our yard; my wife does it on her John Deere.

I don't waste any time mowing our yard; my wife does it on her John Deere.
    Ah...so I need to get married? Again? Hmmm... (what you DON'T see: a quiet moment of head scratching and contemplation) ...Nah! The mowing isn't THAT bad!

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by WayneHill
    Get one of these. Small turing radius. Fun to drive and costs a lot less than $30K ! (wedge)

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/
    Thanks for the link! The next one will be ZTR, for sure. Lance