586,108 active members*
3,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Cutting Carbon Fiber

Hi,

Finally got a machine up and running and am in the process of wanting to cut some parts for some rc cars for both myself and some friends. What would be the best tool to cut carbon fiber plates that are .1 or .12 inches thick?

Thanks,

Chris

I have found that router bits 2 flute work very good, how will you get rid of the dust?

I haven't gotten to the ventilation part yet. I know breathing that stuff is like working in a coal mine so I'm thinking of all of my options.

Thanks for the advise,

Chris

Does anyone have any good sources for carbon fiber?

For small orders: http://www.arts-hobby.com/ Pretty good selection at ok prices.

For larger orders: http://www.kcinc.com/ Huge selection, good prices, but have to buy in volume.

Chris

Carbon Fiber Laminates

We manufacture cabon fiber laminates and we have a large amount of .140" x 3" x 18" drop off. It is made up of Uni-Directional Carbon Fiber laid up at 0/90 to each other and cured in an AutoClave. The surface is a flat black. Price $10.00 each. Call me at 800 811-2009 if you need more info.

Carbon Fiber knife scales.

I us diamond coated 4 flute 1/8 end mills (OSG EXOCARB) from MSC for $64 each. I am cutting knife scales from 3/32 carbon fiber plate dry in 2 passes at 6500 rpm ,15 in/min. I run one as a rougher then on as a finisher. Switch Finisher to rougher after 250 parts and load a net bit for the finisher. Dust goes in dust collector.
    Good Luck.
    Be Good, Be Kind, Be Happy
    Jay Cowan

Straight cuts....I would use a shear....take a look at the TREX website...they may have some info on there and then check the carbon-fiber manufacturer's website for cutting ideas and check out the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

EVERY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CARBON FIBER DUST IS NOT LIKE A COAL MINE IT IS MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH WORSE. MY FIRST ADVICE IS WET CUTTING AS WET AS POSSIBLE. UNDERWATER IS THE IDEAL. Few people have the funds or technology to filter extracted carbon dust.
    I have been involved in composite production for quite a few years and had the pleasure of chatting to scientists involved in that field of research. The general feeling was watercut it or dont cut it at all, we dont even know the full health story with it yet, exept it's not good, i assumed a similar cautionary tale to asbestos, but theres more to it than that, only in the last couple of years have real 'carbonosis' (i presume the term would be) cases begun to appear, . I use large amounts of it in ski and snowboard production, and take great care in keeping it away from milling and trimming lines in the layups.

I dont mean to be so alarming, im just passing on the sentiment of those that seem wiser than me.

x
    Benergy

Just use a regular old dust collector and you will be fine. Waterjet cut carbon fiber edge quality SUCKS...I know because I have the account for a very well known automotive accessory company that was disappointed with wj edge quality & gave me the job. I cut all of their carbon for them with my CNC router. Use diamond tooling and dust collection...I've cut hundreds of sheets of carbon in various thicknesses. If you are ultra paranoid, wear a respirator.

-B

Wet cutting is the way to go if you are concern about health issues and we all should be. Safety first.

I don't know who to believe, but it's best to err on the side of caution. I had a basic course in (aircraft) composites and the composite instructor told us the health hazards concerning carbon dust were highly exaggerated. His biggest worry was that the dust got into electronics and caused electrical problems.

I've been cutting 1/16" thick G10; 2 sheets thick at a time with solid carbide, upcut course cut 1/16" OD router bits.

I'm about to cut carbon fiber today, and I'm wondering how much less feed rate I should run? This CF is 3 layers carbon and 2 layers fiberglass, epoxy binder.

I wear a cartrige mask. laytex gloves, and safety glasses when I mill the G10. I don't have a very good system for dust collecting, but I have a shop vac with an anti-static hose and the bag inside is for dust collection. How much worse is the CF going to be?

Just keep it out of your nose & you'll be fine.

Don't expect your 1/16" end mill to last very long if it isn't diamond coated. I would cut CF @ 12,000 - 14,000 RPM @ 50-90 IPM on a CNC router. If using a mill, you'll have to figure out what works best for your setup by testing. Since you are not using a diamond coated tool, your results will vary from mine.

-B

Ok thanks, well i've been cutting it today and yesterday. My CNC mill is only 9800rpms max so i run it wide open. Ive been doing 1 sheet at 11ipm, and 2 sheets thick at 8ipm. THe router bits I told you about are only $2.75 each, the diamond cut, upcut, Course cut. They only last about 1 or 2 runs, then the CF gets a poor edge and frays. Pretty crappy considering I get 6 to 8 sheets cut with the same bit with G10.

When i cut G10 i do 1 sheet at 17ipm and 2 sheets thick at 11ipm. IF i go any faster The 1/16" like to snap off. hehe

I've been measuring my cutters and after 1 run they loose .001 to .0015" of OD.

I will look for the diamond coated ones thanks!

I'm going to have to get a better countersink for the CF also. The HHS ones for $7.50 just cant do it. I'm looking a a solid carbide 6 flute ticn coated for $28. 3/8"

Any recomendations?

Try http://www.harveytool.com/ or http://www.osgtool.com/ for diamond tooling. I've used both & they are excellent.

-B

I used to build race cars with alot of carbon composite parts. With carbon kevlar and honeycomb. These materials will eat carbide tools fast. But what I found to make the tools last was you have to keep the tool cool. I used a cold air gun and a strong shop vac to suck up the chips and dust. And I'm still walking around 15 years later. Also alot of composite materials will soak up water and be ruined so I would stay dry if you can.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

if you think carbon is bad.. try kevlar laminates.. its the most awful ugly freying hard to cut stuff there is. Just drilling it is horrible.. you basically break, frey, and move the fibers... never again..

as for the carbon dust.. I dont play around.. I make sure I filter/vac, wear gloves, eye protection, respirator. My friend went to the Dr as he was caughing blood.. they thought he was exposed to years of asbestos, but he explained it was carbon dust.. they basically cant do anything and it just embeds in the tissue... he learned the hard way. If you are doing alot of dusty cutting I'd try to leave the area or or take all the protection you can.. your skin will let you know as there will be no end to the itching... I can tell immediately as my eyes start to itch.. you will recogonize the feeling after a while..

I've been cutting the carbon fiber but it comes out as powder and when I get it on my fingers if i don't have latex gloves on it doesn't itch. I wash my hands a lot thought. Its pretty nasty powder, kinda like gun powder. I guess the tooling I use grinds it into powder.

Im using the AO safety 8053-P100 cartridges on the mask i have. Are these good? I can still smell oders a little still.

I try and keep everything in the shop still and not disruptive to the air when I'm working or cutting the CF. i only cut it about once or twice a month for a few days. I do worry about health and I hope I'm taking the right precautions. I'm going to clean more though and not let dust sit around.

Is your friend going to be ok? Will his lungs eventually get rid of the foreign particles?

Page 1 of 2 12