586,299 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Clamping

Clamping

This has probably been done before? There is very little that is actually a brilliant new idea, but I thought I would post it anyhow.

It is basically two rails held down by the t-track on the table. On the left rail, there are embedded t-nuts. In the pic you can see the knobs that allow the threaded rod to be turned providing the clamping action. On the end of the threaded rod are acorn nuts. Since those have spherical ends, they do not make the clamping spacer crawl around.

Without reefing down on the knobs, this setup provides a lot of clamping pressure. I could not budge the board no matter what.

Most of the work I do is completely cut out, so registering against an edge to get squareness is not very important to me.

I am a bit concerned cutting the outer profile and losing clamping pressure. Especially the way the spacer board in the pic does not reach the ends of the material.

If anyone has used this method, I would appreciate comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Treischl View Post
    This has probably been done before? There is very little that is actually a brilliant new idea, but I thought I would post it anyhow.

It is basically two rails held down by the t-track on the table. On the left rail, there are embedded t-nuts. In the pic you can see the knobs that allow the threaded rod to be turned providing the clamping action. On the end of the threaded rod are acorn nuts. Since those have spherical ends, they do not make the clamping spacer crawl around.

Without reefing down on the knobs, this setup provides a lot of clamping pressure. I could not budge the board no matter what.

Most of the work I do is completely cut out, so registering against an edge to get squareness is not very important to me.

I am a bit concerned cutting the outer profile and losing clamping pressure. Especially the way the spacer board in the pic does not reach the ends of the material.

If anyone has used this method, I would appreciate comments.
    I have not used this method, but there is a company that makes hold down clamps similar to yours. Instead of the knobs, they use cams that push another piece that's hinged in and down, which snugs the board down to the table.

While great for inside cuts, I think cutting profiles migut cause some issues...