586,094 active members*
3,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

over traveling

Hello, I have a job that requires several small slots to mill in a tube every 3-3/4". From the first slot to the last is 30", my little mill x-axis travel is about 22". My question is: is there a way where I can run a program to do this job and the program would stop near the end of my table travel so I can reposition the tube then touch 'cycle start’ and have the machine finish the rest of the slots.
    The program would have to flag me to index the tube, travel back the opposite direction and start milling the slots till it milled the last one.
    Is this possible to do with Mach 3? I know it can be done with the Omax waterjet software as I once had an aluminum sign cut that was 12' long on a 2'
    x 4' machine.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Try thinking f this as simply a run of 5 repeats combined with a second run to complete the job having reset. A jug which could just be 'vee' blocks would simplify the resetting as one at the centre could remain in place an save angular alignment if the tolerances work out for you. As you have to reset the work on the table I do not see the need for an automated stop feed - reset work (similar to tool change) - continue. There are safety issues with a major resetting with the computer still in control.

Work safe - regards - Pat

Regards - Pat