586,075 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > How to change seals on VH65 rotary

How to change seals on VH65 rotary

My Vh65 is leaking gear oil from the rear. The oil is running out between the large round plate and main body. I have never opened this before and don't want to screw it up. It looks like the small round plate in the middle has a set screw for locking position and three holes to unscrew it with a pin wrench. Before I build a tool, please let me know if there is an easier way to change out the leaky seals / o-rings.

All the best,

Andy

I have no info on the rebuilding of the unit but i do have an exploded diagram and parts list.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you have to loosen the nut that tightens the main shaft bearings be sure to not over tighten it.I would pull the motor off and feel the drive gear,the unit should turn freely by hand.then be sure that it still turns with the same resitance after the nut is put back on.if the gear does not turn freely the motor will burn out,i have replaced motors in cases were the brake was not releasing because of rust from water in the lines-same result of the nut being too tight.

Thanks for the advise Alex. I figured an easy way would be to count the turns and put it back so the 3 pin holes are in the same location. Do you know why there are threads in the pin holes? If the holes really are there to allow a custom made wrench remove the nut, then they would not need to be tapped, or?

Andy

I never took one apart so i am not sure what the nut looks like or why the threads are there,possibly for some tool fadal made up,make sure there are no set screws in there.the only work we do in the field is motor swaps and worm gear adjustments,any rebuilding is sent out to the factory as they never released any rebuild info to the field service techs and kept the work in house.

I looked at the part list picture and there are set screws in there,it looks like the preload ring (rot-0035) is like a spithe nut where you set the load tightness and then the set screws strech the nut that is sloted to lock it in place.look the drawing over real good before taking it apart.(the drawing is attached to my first reply)

Alex,

On the drawing it looks like position 13 is two dowel pins and set screws. If this is the case I wonder how the pins are removed? Or do you think that the pins are just there to show that a pin wrench should be used to open the nut?

In any case my nut has three tapped holes distributed like a triangle, no dowel pins, no set screws and it looks like the holes bottom out in the nut, so no through holes.

There is also a fourth hole placed on the back of the nut, but outside the perimeter of the three other holes. It is also tapped and it does have a set screw. Removing it just lets oil out.

I removed the fourth hole set screw, inserted two 4 mm drill bits in two of the other holes and tried to loosen the nut with a bar inbetween the drill bits, but it will not budge. I dont want to force it before knowing what I might destroy. Dont even know if it is a left or right hand thread...

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VH65rearnut.jpg  

It is to the point that you should contact the factory and see if they will help you out, there may be a good reason that the rebuilds were done there and not in the field.I dont know anymore about the nut than what i get from the diagram from fadal and your rotary may have an updated or backdated nut than what is shown if there was an issue with it and the diagram is not changed.You can go to fadal.com and see if there is online support or you can call them (very long distance for you i know,hopefully you have internet phone) the number is 818-727-2100 and then press 4 for tech support.doug hawthorne would be the guy to talk to.I will attach the fadal parts list that has a description of the part numbers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks again Alex,

I had no idea the factory and tech support was still in place. I thought Fadal was officially closed last year. I found another version of the options.pdf which also has a position 14 (HDW-0615) on the same diagram which is clearly a dowel pin. I will try to reach Doug at tech support.

All the best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

We rebuild all Fadal rotary tables including the VH65. If you'd like some help, feel free to contact us directly via phone or email.

-Shelvin
    (818) 678-9456
    [email protected]
    TheFadalParts.com
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

Thanks Shelvin, but I am in Thailand, so it is not viable to send it back to the US for rebuild.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by iess525 View Post
    Hi Andy,

We rebuild all Fadal rotary tables including the VH65. If you'd like some help, feel free to contact us directly via phone or email.

-Shelvin
    (818) 678-9456
    [email protected]
    TheFadalParts.com