586,108 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by kd4gij View Post
    ;The crate is not sturdy enough for the weight of the mill as mine had fallen through.luckily the pallit that it was on was sturdy enough th suport it. I would say your mill was grizzly's falt, more than the shippers.
    My pallet failed too. The wood they use is like balsa wood.

A 1/4" plywood bottom would go a long way for shipping

Quote Originally Posted by slinger View Post
    Update from Grizzly: I will not receive a mill from the shipment that just came in (they are all spoken for of course), but I will get a mill from the next shipment that comes in (July). Also, my credit card will get refunded and charged again when the new mill ships.
    Dude, I would be DEMANDING to speak to a supervisor and be bouncing off the WALLS if they didn't ship one ASAP. That's Total and utter BS.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Connor9220 View Post
    Dude, I would be DEMANDING to speak to a supervisor and be bouncing off the WALLS if they didn't ship one ASAP. That's Total and utter BS.
    +1 I tottaly agrey with you on that. Almost every pic on here of the mill in the crate it has wen't at least part way through the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Connor9220 View Post
    It is frustrating, but they can't ship what they don't have to ship. If I don't get a mill out of the next shipment, then I think I'll have the right to get upset. I'm sure Grizzly will make sure I get my mill though.

As for the shipping crates, I agree that they need to beef them up a bit ... or maybe mark FRAGILE all over them

I just received an email from Grizzly:

We are writing to inform you that your G0704 Drill Mill with Stand has passed our quality control inspections and is currently on the sea. Without delays due to US Customs processing time, we estimate delivery to our MO facility approximately 10/21/11. Once received, your order will be processed promptly and shipped to arrive in approximately 3-5 business days.
    It's been a long wait, but I might be getting my mill in another month!

me too!

Hooray!

We are writing to inform you that your G0704 Drill Mill with Stand has passed our quality control inspections and is currently on the sea. Without delays due to US Customs processing time, we estimate delivery to our PA facility approximately 10/28/11. Once received, your order will be processed promptly and shipped to arrive in approximately 3-5 business days.

took them long enough!

Grizzly hit my credit card today, so I assume that means my mill will be shipping very soon!

Good luck! Hope the driver takes care and you get an undamaged one this time.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

<cry>

My card hasn't been charged yet. More waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Good luck! Hope the driver takes care and you get an undamaged one this time.
    Thanks Hoss. I'm saying a prayer for a pristine mill.

The mill shipped today from Springfield, MO, and it is supposed to be delivered on 10/11!

I ordered mine several months ago, was expecting to wait a few more. Got a notice about 3 weeks ago that it would be in Mo. on 10-21 and that it would arrive a few days later. I got another notice on 10-6 that it would be delivered the next day. That's 2 weeks earlier than planned so I had to move my schedule around to be there for inspection. The truck came and the crate looked pretty good for having been bounced around since it left the factory. I saw no evidence of damage, hope yours arrives unmolested too.

Just a quick update ...

The crate looked near pristine when it arrived. Maybe Grizzly sent me the best-looking of the bunch

The stand had one half-dollar-size dent in the side of it and the chip tray had a 1" x 0.25"area of missing paint ... I think the chip tray rubbed against the mill during transport. I'd say that's about as good as can be expected.

I'm looking forward to standing her up and breaking her in!

Just a quick update ...

The crate looked near pristine when it arrived. Maybe Grizzly sent me the best-looking of the bunch

The stand had one half-dollar-size dent in the side of it and the chip tray had a 1" x 0.25"area of missing paint ... I think the chip tray rubbed against the mill during transport. I'd say that's about as good as can be expected.

I'm looking forward to standing her up and breaking her in!
    :cheers: So where is the pics

Portable Hoist

I have a 21' Gorilla ladder that I bought from Home Depot a while back. I consider it one of my best home maintenance investments. I was using it the other day, and I started thinking that it would make a great portable hoist. The ladder is rated for 300 pounds ... that might be on the edge for lifting the G0704, but I figured it would work if I was careful with the weight distribution on the ladder. I picked up a 2 ton come-a-long, and I used a heavy iron bar to span across the top rungs of the ladder. The come-a-long was attached to the iron bar. I placed 1"x4" lumber between the iron bar and the ladder rung in order to spread the weight better on the rung. Finally, I had a heavy duty tow strap that I put a loop in to use as the lifting strap around the G0704.

I was very nervous with the G0704 suspended high enough to place the stand underneath, but the portable hoist worked very well. Additionally, I can use this hoist in my office whenever I need to lift the machine.

One problem I had was when trying to lower the hoist, as the come-a-long lever had interference from the apex of the ladder. In the future, I could have used the second from the top run to hang the come-a-long, and I would not have had to deal with the interference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails portableHoist.jpg   home.jpg  

First problem

My Z-Axis wheel does not work to lift the headstock (and barely works to lower it). When I look at the gears through the column, I can see that the gears are barely engaged, and the teeth simply slip when trying to lift. It appears to me that the gear attached to the Z-Axis wheel needs to extend another 1/8" or so for the gear teeth to mesh.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there an adjustment I can make to move the gears into better contact?

I dont have a 704, but more than likely there is something you can move to gain the reach you need. I had to move a support plate on our mill because of being so tight it was binding.

Hey you might as well tear into it. You will be working on this mill alot if you use it and you need to know its working anyway. If not you will not understand whats going on when something does happen. So might as well get the jump on it and dive in and figure it out now.

BTW good job with the waiting. One thing I feel these companies need to understand we dont want junk thrown off the back of a truck. Two you probably ended up with a much better machine by waiting and being nice. Took awail, but it could have been much worse with the shape of the machine.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Page 35 of the manuel shows how to remove the wheel and gear. You should be able to adjust it from there.

Yes, I have taken off the wheel and gear. I do not see any piece that is adjustable in the assembly. One thing I do note is that the spacer (part 46) next to the pinion gear (part 47) seems too short. There is a gap between the spacer and the pinion gear of around 1/16". I think I could put a washer in there, and perhaps that would keep the pinion engaged.

Other than that, the other possibility would maybe be to try to raise the ring gear on the vertical leadscrew. It looks like I could loosen the top leadscrew lock nut and then tighten the bottom leadscrew lock nut. It seems that doing so might raise the leadscrew and ring gear.

Yes, I have taken off the wheel and gear. I do not see any piece that is adjustable in the assembly. One thing I do note is that the spacer (part 46) next to the pinion gear (part 47) seems too short. There is a gap between the spacer and the pinion gear of around 1/16". I think I could put a washer in there, and perhaps that would keep the pinion engaged.

Other than that, the other possibility would maybe be to try to raise the ring gear on the vertical leadscrew. It looks like I could loosen the top leadscrew lock nut and then tighten the bottom leadscrew lock nut. It seems that doing so might raise the leadscrew and ring gear.

There you go, your thinking about its workings.

If you try a washer see if you can find one that is hardened. There can be a lot of pressure on this setup.

The angle the gears contact, and even there surface finish can effect how smooth they work. Ours was so bad we had to put lapping compound on them and rotate them to get working smooth. If your going to cnc later its probably no biggy but it really made a hugh diff in this mill. Thats the worst part of a manual machine is cranking the Z up & down, it gets old fast. It also seems to be the worst axis to get the gibs set right.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Page 2 of 3 123