586,100 active members*
2,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BOBCAD V24 opinions
Page 2 of 2 12
    My explanation is this:

The file doesnt have the units specified in it. It is an "Unknown unit type". So one unit is one unit...

If you want to open an unspecified unit type in BobCad, in a particular unit You need to have your system in the unit type you desire, then merge the file in to have the units now converted or specified as your units..

Any type of system unit change in BobCad will be having a scaling factor applied.

It really is impressive that through many years of CAD CAM work and file conversions of many different types, you have never run into a unit mismatch and have the need to bring it into an app a specific way to have the correct units specified!!! I run into this all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    My explanation is this:

The file doesnt have the units specified in it. It is an "Unknown unit type". So one unit is one unit...
    I can unfortunately not give you credit that the drawing units are not specified. It is not specified in only one of the files. $MEASUREMENT clearly only distinguish between SI and metric even in you 2000 DXF reference and that is only base units. Nothing specific.

Even so, if the package cannot read it, one unit is one unit as you have pointed out. A drawing package can NOT apply a conversion factor based on assumptions. BOBCAD assume the file is in inches, when it is set to on metric before importing.

Thus, BOBCAD is inconsistent twice in the same sentence. It violates the NATIVE SI units it is supposed to work in, by assuming a file of which it cannot read the units, is in inches, when it is set in metric.

Perhaps you should check if you have not by accident your wife's contraceptives mixed in you vitamin box.

I just opened your files in 6 different applications... None of them recognized ANY units set... Hmmmmmm.

I suppose you will just remain stuck, in the tiny world where you reside...

Oh my someone get me a Budlight!!!!:stickpoke:stickpoke:nono:

Quote Originally Posted by ssoptical View Post
    Oh my someone get me a Budlight!!!!:stickpoke:stickpoke:nono:
    I think the discussion will end for me here, as this is really a question that needs to be posed in the Autocad forum. I know in there is Jerry the Fly Guy who is experienced in AutoCad and maybe can answer where the mismatch being seen is originating in The creation program.

I did a bit a research to the dxf units. AutoCad had something like 60 available unit settings and 16 display unit settings... There is much discussion regarding these settings and the affect on the drawing and conversions... There is specific discussion of using display units mixed with system units and having that result in dxf geometry being scaled when brought in to its native unit environment... It becomes too convoluted to trace without the originating app and native file from it, or the knowledge of what that was and how the file came to be...

This user is pointing to autocad 2010 documentations, while the file presented is a AC1015 AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 version dxf..

All the dxf reference found here:

Autodesk - AutoCAD Services & Support - DXF Reference

Specify's Measure as the drawing unit setting, but this could be a reference to actual "Drawing a line" unit settings... The unit spec in the file presented here, is clearly listed as a supplemental unit setting, and not the global file setting, which is confirmed by countless apps not recognizing any unit setting.

Maybe Jerry knows more about the raw format read, to be able to decipher the files intent and give a quality explanation of what needs to happen in it's creation for other apps to read it as the user wants...

And as a final for the BobCad users, if you run into a file with a unit mismatch due to it's creation and translation, That scales what should be a default value, and you do this enough everyday, you can make the process more palatable by selecting "Custom units" in the unit preferences and setting a value of 1 unit = 25.4......

BobCad will then know that the dxf unitless file, was created using a scaling factor, and no scaling will occur.

I for one can certainly sympathize with koosjr. I know first hand EXACTLY what he's talking about in regards to pre-sales, sales, and then after sales. Along with other's opinions regarding the quality of product (or, rather incomplete product) BobCAD has sold me.

As one who must handle many different things on a daily basis I cannot remember all the functions of BobCAD and therefore refer to the help section periodically. In version 23 the help buttons do absolutely NOTHING in the feature editing dialog boxes.

The program crashes often. I must remember to save my work after each and every feature addition to preserve the work I've been able to get done. This happens more often with the (not so) high speed pocketing feature during tool path computation.

Try using the print preview function anyone? This kills the program about as fast as anything.

Simply opening a drawing for review and doing nothing else prompts a save file on exit. Frustrating at the very least.

As far as CAD operability... What a joke. My part development consists of drawing with another CAD package then importing to BobCAD via saving as a .dwg file.

I purchased two seats and never installed one after finding all this out. I find that I have to manually massage the G-code to minimize tool changes, and clean up unnecessary moves that kill cycle time. So, how can I put this on the production floor where my operators will lose productivity chasing these things?

I'll tell you this as well. BurrMan is perhaps the best asset they've got. Whether he's on their payroll or not he's helped far more than their support team has.

What's more is when they get your phone number they WILL call you incessantly to entice you to purchase more copies of their software. How many copies does one shop need???

BUYER BEWARE! is all I have to add. The software is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but will set you back in upfront purchase and lost productivity after the fact.

Crashing

"The program crashes often. I must remember to save my work after each and every feature addition to preserve the work I've been able to get done. This happens more often with the (not so) high speed pocketing feature during tool path computation.

Try using the print preview function anyone? This kills the program about as fast as anything. "

Ok the print preview does not cause crashing here, I cannot say the software will never crash however if this is a constant on your computer something is wrong , probably a driver or hardware issue.

If you would like to fix this problem call me , 727-489-0003 Ask for Sean.

Does anyone happen to have a spare BobCAD/CAM v24 even V23 license, would be good. I need to use this program for school and of course the school doesnt cover the cost of buying software. And I cant afford the $2500 for the BobCAD/CAM and most of the other CAD/CAM software is $4500+

Quote Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
    Does anyone happen to have a spare BobCAD/CAM v24 even V23 license, would be good. I need to use this program for school and of course the school doesnt cover the cost of buying software. And I cant afford the $2500 for the BobCAD/CAM and most of the other CAD/CAM software is $4500+
    If you contact BobCAD you should be able to get a full functional student license for around $400.00. They are real good at dropping there prices for student's or in-fact anyone wanting to learn with there software and as a bonus it's not crippled in anyway and won't expire either

Quote Originally Posted by 07BlackOps View Post
    If you download the test version, you are VERY likely to be contacted by BobCAD and offered a special price in any event. I do not think you need any of the Predator software, as you can verify using V24 anyway.

Trying to delete the post....

Quote Originally Posted by Sowen View Post

Ok the print preview does not cause crashing here, I cannot say the software will never crash however if this is a constant on your computer something is wrong , probably a driver or hardware issue.
    Before I phone you and risk starting another three calls/day phone campaign from your end to my office I have a question: If NO other application on that computer has a problem printing (CAD packages, word processor, text editors, and programming packages) how can it be a hardware or driver issue?

Crashing

Quote Originally Posted by WCIS View Post
    Before I phone you and risk starting another three calls/day phone campaign from your end to my office I have a question: If NO other application on that computer has a problem printing (CAD packages, word processor, text editors, and programming packages) how can it be a hardware or driver issue?
    If you call support I can assure you we will not start a "campaign" of calling you , much like you we have work to do. However if you contact sales, yes they will probably try to sell you something.

To answer your question, I don't know. Just like your problem, I have a copy of Microsoft Office that crashes on my personal computer even though BobCAD runs fine. There are many factors that can cause crashing , open GL calls, Microsoft redistributable files. If you would like help, I'm here but need to actually look at the problem ... Sean Owen ,727-489-0003.

Units

I do apologize for taking so long to get back... Looks like Burrman has handled most of the research here and as usual came up correct. And I have also spent some time confirming this and reading up on DXF files.

This is a Unit-less file. See image...

I used another CAD program (Draft-sight) and have confirmed this in several other CAD systems.

In short I have to agree with Burrman.

I'm sorry you do not like the way BobCAD Handles the file. It can be worked around though.

There is not much I can do for how the file is handled, I will talk to development and we will look at other ways of handling this.

If anyone has a better way to handle this submit it as a request ...
    Report | BobCAD-CAM

Page 2 of 2 12