586,094 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori MV 35/40 retrofit

I recently acquired a 1983 mori MV 35/40 with a yasnac mx1 controller. The machine ran fine at its previous location but it only supports 3 axis has limited memory and poor look ahead, without turning on high speed machining which doubles the memory usage.

I would like to upgrade the machine to 4 axis capability which requires an additional cpu card and other pieces. Before I "upgrade" the antiquated control and still have an antiquated control I would like to explore the option of retrofitting the machine to EMC2 with touchy.

The machine has a 20 position ATC and the following components
    Servo drives cpcr-mr155k2
    Servos ughmed-12gg (with tfue- feedback units)
    Spindle controller vs-626mtII

Are these components compatible with EMC2?

Thanks
    Cory

You may be in luck.

If memory serves, "Touchy" was written for a Mori Seiki conversion.

I would get the machine installed and under power. You can use the current control to fab up your EMC2 type control panel. You will also want to make some type of spindle encoder mounting assy so that once EMC2 is functional you will have the option to use rigid tapping.

Its homework time. Plan out what PC mbd you intend to use and fab up a baseplate that can also handle some of the other interface components. Your likely to use Mesa or Pico boards so start researching your shopping list.

Another thing to do now is decide on a 4th axis option. Table, amps, servo pwr requirements show be planned out before you pull apart the existing machine.

To be honest this is the wrong place for good quick EMC2 help. You really need to join the EMC users request mailing list. That and once your cutting wires and testing configs your going to want to jump on the
    IRC chat also.

Best of luck with it. :cheers: