Hi,
I'm new here. I was recently hired to develop an engineering program at a 4-year Vo-Tech high school. It was previously a drafting program and the administration would like it changed to engineering (or pre-engineering)

I have a computer lab, but I also have a considerable (2000 sq. ft +/-) shop which is currently empty.

The administration and I would both like to see my program compete in competitions and design challenges. Being a Vo-Tech, there's a capable metal shop and wood shop down the hall that could be used to make any large fixtures or parts, but I'd like to be able to make smaller pieces in-house. And it's good training for the kids to see the stuff they've drawn get cut out right in front of them. I suspect it will mostly be aluminum and maybe some plastic, but I'd also like the capacity to machine steel. I like the Tormach machines, but I don't have much of a machining background so I'm seeking help here.

It's not a money-is-no-object proposition, but it's not too far off. In a previous life I saved a few bucks by buying a Grizzly band saw which was a mistake. I won't be buying junk this time. What I would like to get is something that aligns with what is used in industry. (Software and hardware) And something that can be repaired rather than replaced, and updated rather than junked after a few years.

I'm leaning toward a benchtop unit for flexibility and cost (again, the metal shop has the big stuff, if we'd need it)

Is a Tormach what I should be looking at? Is there something better that isn't twice the price? Will a student who learned on it have an advantage when he walks into his first job and sees a Haas mill in front of him?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you in advance for your help.