586,077 active members*
3,720 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Selecting the right laser

Hi,

I am currently doing research on Laser as we would like to convert a mechmate that was used for wood routing to a co2 laser cutting machine to cut fiberglass isolation panel used for ventilation duct.

the isolation board range from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch thick.

anyone know good site or forum post that have documentation on laser and different requirement for material and tickness ?

I had bad experience with Chinese equipment in the past and since this machine will be used heavily during the day we would like to have a laser that can witstand that amount of work.

any recommendation ?

Regards,

You probably going to need around 500 watts to do this effectively , I would contact someone like Kern lasers for recommendations on what to get. It won't be cheap tho.

Quote Originally Posted by telah View Post
    Hi,

I am currently doing research on Laser as we would like to convert a mechmate that was used for wood routing to a co2 laser cutting machine to cut fiberglass isolation panel used for ventilation duct.

anyone know good site or forum post that have documentation on laser and different requirement for material and tickness ?

I had bad experience with Chinese equipment in the past and since this machine will be used heavily during the day we would like to have a laser that can witstand that amount of work.

any recommendation ?

Regards,
    I'm not sure if a laser is going to be the best answer for you. When you say fiberglass, are you refering to fibergalss panels?

I have been cutting FRP flat stock on my router with a fibergalss bit and it has been working very well.

Abrasive Type Plunge, Diamond Pattern, Plastic Cutting Router Bits -Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality Router Bits

this is the material we need to cut, I was expecting a high price already so money is not an issue.

Ventilation | Duct Insulation | K-Flex Duct™ Liner - GlobalIndustrial.ca

I will get in touch with Kern for recommendation, thank you for the help.

Regards.

WE are a laser co. I would suggest that you take a sample to some one with a 50 to 100 watt laser, and get them to test cut it..

If that is the type of insulation I am used to seeing, a roller knife might be a good way to cut it.

Will you be cutting organic shapes with a lot of curves, or mostly straight cuts with angles?

Quote Originally Posted by telah View Post
    Hi,

this is the material we need to cut, I was expecting a high price already so money is not an issue.

Ventilation | Duct Insulation | K-Flex Duct™ Liner - GlobalIndustrial.ca
    The product data sheet that you provided shows closed cell flexible elastomeric insulation. I believe that this is a foam rubber product like wetsuit material, not fiberglass.
    Not sure if there are any lasers that can cut fiberglass insulation and laser cutting elastomeric may really smell up the neighborhood for miles around.
    You may want to call the manufacturer and see what they recommend for cutting this. I would guess a CNC system with some sort of razor knife.

after more research this is the exact product that machine would be use to cut.

Knauf Sonic XP

the 2 size used are the 2.0 PCF .5 inch and 1 inch

this look a lot more easier to cut then the material i was thinking.

by looking at the spec those are made of fiberglass.

anyone have experience cutting similar material with a laser or recommendation, I looked at kern laser and they don't seem to be selling c02 laser tube but only fully working machine.

Regards

HEY,
    HOW MUCH WATTS DO YOU NEED OF THE CO2 LASER TUBE?

I would not recommend laser for this application, you will find ultrasonic cutting to be far superior and lower cost.

You could probably get by with an oscillating knife, or if you only need straight cuts a rotary solution would work but ultrasonic would provide the best capability and seal the edge.

As a benefit the CNC system could be used for other tasks too, just exchange the head.

Have a look at Multicam:
    CNC Knife - EZ Knife System - MultiCam - Products

Zax.